Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish ale possible partial mash  (Read 3407 times)

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
Scottish ale possible partial mash
« on: December 02, 2014, 10:21:02 am »
Hello
I am getting ready to start a batch of 60/ scottish ale based off of the recipe in brewing classic beers.  But i am thinking og doing it partial mash. 
Here is the recipe that i am going to do if all extract 
2 lbs light dme
.6 lbs of crystal(40°)
.3 lbs of honey (18°)
.15 lbs crystal (120)
1.7 oz pale chocolate
.5 lbs of 2 row
all for a 3 gallon batch. 
Og should be 1.037

What tweeks would anyone make for going partial mash.
thanks

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Scottish ale possible partial mash
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:25:24 am »
Any reason you can't do all grain for such a small batch size? You could do BIAB easily by replacing the DME with base malt.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:32:32 am »
I wasnt completely ready to dive into all grain quite yet. 

Wanted to try it out a little

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:45:49 pm »
Hello
I am getting ready to start a batch of 60/ scottish ale based off of the recipe in brewing classic beers.  But i am thinking og doing it partial mash. 
Here is the recipe that i am going to do if all extract 
2 lbs light dme
.6 lbs of crystal(40°)
.3 lbs of honey (18°)
.15 lbs crystal (120)
1.7 oz pale chocolate
.5 lbs of 2 row
all for a 3 gallon batch. 
Og should be 1.037

What tweeks would anyone make for going partial mash.
thanks
Interesting thought of using a touch of honey malt. I might try that some day.

Your recipe will probably be fine. What yeast?

I'd use Maris Otter LME if I were doing extract, though you may need to reduce the amount of coloring grains. For AG I prefer Golden Promise.

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:53:38 pm »
Using safale s05 english ale yeast 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 04:42:14 pm »
Using safale s05 english ale yeast

do you mean s04? s05 is california ale
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 04:58:10 pm »
Yes   s04

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 05:03:06 pm »
Its funny because BCS calls S05 for dry yeast in the small scotts. I think it would attenuate out that small beer leaving it too dry to thin and too fruity. With 3 gallons of 1.037 I would just pitch a pack of Wyeast 1728.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 05:07:12 pm »
Its funny because BCS calls S05 for dry yeast in the small scotts. I think it would attenuate out that small beer leaving it too dry to thin and too fruity. With 3 gallons of 1.037 I would just pitch a pack of Wyeast 1728.

+1. I love 1056 for the right beer, but I don't know if it's really even a Scottish style beer with it. 1728 rocks. Great yeast.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 05:46:03 pm »
Agreed. And versatile. Its my main yeast. Scottish, N English Brown, APA, IPA, etc. I actually think you could use it at 50º and make a great hybrid

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 05:53:21 pm »
Agreed. And versatile. Its my main yeast. Scottish, N English Brown, APA, IPA, etc. I actually think you could use it at 50º and make a great hybrid

Yep, it's versatile. It's a can o' worms but I never bought into the 'smoky' thing. It's really clean when you go cool and I remember using it warmer and feeling it was fairly clean then. I like 58-60F for Scottish. Makes me want to brew one, it's been a while. A nice 80/ sounds good this winter.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 06:01:03 pm »

+1. I love 1056 for the right beer, but I don't know if it's really even a Scottish style beer with it. 1728 rocks. Great yeast.
I just made a Strong Scotch Ale (OG 1.080)with 1728 and it was done in 4-5 days @ 60 degrees. I thought maybe it stalled out, but the gravity was 1.018 ???. I pitched a slurry from a previous 1.048 batch, but this yeast was done in no time. I agree this yeast rocks.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 06:09:41 pm »

I just made a Strong Scotch Ale (OG 1.080)with 1728 and it was done in 4-5 days @ 60 degrees. I thought maybe it stalled out, but the gravity was 1.018 ???. I pitched a slurry from a previous 1.048 batch, but this yeast was done in no time. I agree this yeast rocks.

Yeah, my last big Scottish hit FG pretty quick IIRC. I thought it might've stalled too :D  I think I hit ~ 1.018ish on that Wee Heavy.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 03:26:15 am »

Yep, it's versatile. It's a can o' worms but I never bought into the 'smoky' thing. It's really clean when you go cool and I remember using it warmer and feeling it was fairly clean then. I like 58-60F for Scottish. Makes me want to brew one, it's been a while. A nice 80/ sounds good this winter.
I won't say that it does not ever cause a phenol which someone might perceive as smoky. I've not tried it with every grain bill in every temperature and then had everyone taste it. However, I've never gotten smoke of any sort from any beer ive brewed with 1728.

Another can of worms is how very similar some of the commercial examples of Scottish are to commercial examples of Northern English Brown. Given that the two big brew cities for those two brews are only about 90 miles apart... it figures. Scottish and NEB are different the same way Washington APA and Oregon APA are different. Im certain someone will vehemently disagree. Thats cool.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 08:15:31 am »

I won't say that it does not ever cause a phenol which someone might perceive as smoky. I've not tried it with every grain bill in every temperature and then had everyone taste it. However, I've never gotten smoke of any sort from any beer ive brewed with 1728.

Another can of worms is how very similar some of the commercial examples of Scottish are to commercial examples of Northern English Brown. Given that the two big brew cities for those two brews are only about 90 miles apart... it figures. Scottish and NEB are different the same way Washington APA and Oregon APA are different. Im certain someone will vehemently disagree. Thats cool.
Are you referring to Newcastle and Belhaven, Jim? I might have to try a side-by-side soon to see for myself.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer