Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: False Bottom  (Read 3886 times)

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
False Bottom
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »
For the past several years I have used a 10-gallon circular mash tun with a false bottom.  I fly-sparge (don't roll your eyes at me Denny!  :D ) so I like having a false bottom.  I've had an extra converted keg in my garage for almost 3 years now that was always going to be a mash-tun whenever I got around to it.  The only time I figured I'd ever really need it was doing a 10-gallon batch of a beer above a 1.070 or so.  I'm doing one this weekend and was about to run the LHBS on my lunchbreak to get a false bottom for a keg, when I realized that I might be able to use the one from my cooler.  Anyone try this......Does it fit OK?  Is there a ton of dead space?  If I remember right the ones for Kegs are shaped differently to fit the inner contour of a keg.

Thoughts?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: False Bottom
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »
For the past several years I have used a 10-gallon circular mash tun with a false bottom.  I fly-sparge (don't roll your eyes at me Denny!  :D ) so I like having a false bottom.  I've had an extra converted keg in my garage for almost 3 years now that was always going to be a mash-tun whenever I got around to it.  The only time I figured I'd ever really need it was doing a 10-gallon batch of a beer above a 1.070 or so.  I'm doing one this weekend and was about to run the LHBS on my lunchbreak to get a false bottom for a keg, when I realized that I might be able to use the one from my cooler.  Anyone try this......Does it fit OK?  Is there a ton of dead space?  If I remember right the ones for Kegs are shaped differently to fit the inner contour of a keg.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? sure.  Slap a hose braid over your keg drain and batch sparge that puppy :)
Joe

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:49:55 pm »
I really like fly sparging.  Once you have done it enough and have a good feel for it, you can just set your sparge and run-off at the speed you want and walk away.  I get a ton of other things done while I'm sparging.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:39:13 pm »
I really like fly sparging.  Once you have done it enough and have a good feel for it, you can just set your sparge and run-off at the speed you want and walk away.  I get a ton of other things done while I'm sparging.

I'm with ya on fly sparging.  And you can get the best efficincy, if that's important.  Just set the flow really slow, and walk away for about an hour (10 gallon batch)  I make big versions of any beer I make.  So it works nice for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:44:28 am »
I fly-sparge (don't roll your eyes at me Denny!  :D )

No eye rolling at all!  Use whatever method suits your style and system.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:07:06 am »
Mike, it depends on the false bottom. If it doesn't have any legs and your diptube would work with it, you should be good to go. Or you could borrow mine.
Brew on

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »
I use a half barrel for my mash tun and I used the piece I cut out of the top of the keg as the false bottom.  I removed the stem and sliced the neck down below the ears, used a SS flat washer that fit inside, put in a thru wall fitting to a chuck of tubing to the valve in the side of the keg.  I had to use a nipple in the thru wall fitting to extend the pick up lower for less dead space.  Anyway I hope that makes sense with no pictures.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:53:26 am »
I use a half barrel for my mash tun and I used the piece I cut out of the top of the keg as the false bottom.  I removed the stem and sliced the neck down below the ears, used a SS flat washer that fit inside, put in a thru wall fitting to a chuck of tubing to the valve in the side of the keg.  I had to use a nipple in the thru wall fitting to extend the pick up lower for less dead space.  Anyway I hope that makes sense with no pictures.

Wow dude, good job.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:21 am »
Did you drill holes or make slits?
Brew on

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »
Drill holes.  Like a 1/32.  The only problem is finding good drill bits that small.  I had a lot of bits break on me between two false bottoms.  I finally just started getting cheap Harbor Freight bits that I wasn't worried about breaking.  I'd say I probably got 10-15 holes per bit and I drilled probably 200 holes per false bottom.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com