Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden shroomy  (Read 2120 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Golden shroomy
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:51:21 am »
Well, the next mushroom beer is underway....a Belgian Golden Strong with matsutake mushrooms!  A friend dropped off 3+ lb. the other day (gotta love living in OR where you can just go out and pick them!).  I chopped, vacuum packed and froze them yesterday until the beer is brewed and I'm ready to use them.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Golden shroomy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:06:07 am »
looks good Denny.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:30 am »
I find this idea extremely interesting. I know it has been covered but how/when do you add them? After fermentation is complete?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:11:10 am »
those are some of the nicest looking shrooms i've seen. 

gotta say, after having a Duvel at a restaurant on draft last night, i can imagine the chantarelles/wee heavy being a good combo, but this one is hard for me to imagine.  keep us posted!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:54:18 am »
I find this idea extremely interesting. I know it has been covered but how/when do you add them? After fermentation is complete?

Here's Denny's recipe for another mushroom beer.  I would assume the process is the same.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/WeeShroomy

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »

Yep, after fermentation is complete.  I've found that the key is how you process the shrooms.  I advise against doing the standard vodka soak.  It seems to ruin the flavor and add heat from the alcohol.  I chop the up, vacuum seal them and freeze them.  When fermentation is complete I that them and add the shrooms and all the liquid from the vacuum bag to the fermenter.  A week or two in the beer and I rack from the shrooms and keg.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:54 pm »
those are some of the nicest looking shrooms i've seen. 

And those are the leftovers that the mushroom buyer didn't want!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:20:20 pm »
just read up on matsutakes as it's been a while since I used them. they are supposed to have a spicey cinnemon like aroma with some earthiness and funk. that sounds pretty good in a golden strong actually.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:20:57 pm »
Do you think the mushrooms have any value after you package?  It's gonna kill me to just throw away what started out as 8 pounds of chantrerrels. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 02:03:55 pm »
just read up on matsutakes as it's been a while since I used them. they are supposed to have a spicey cinnemon like aroma with some earthiness and funk. that sounds pretty good in a golden strong actually.

Yeah, that's what they smelled like so that's why I went BGSA.  In my mind, it works.  I hope that carries through to the glass!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 02:05:19 pm »
Do you think the mushrooms have any value after you package?  It's gonna kill me to just throw away what started out as 8 pounds of chantrerrels.

You can try sauteing them to see.   I didn't get much out of them when I tried but beer flavor.  But it's easy enough to try it and see what happens.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 02:40:26 pm »
OK.  Then I guess we'll try them in a beef stew or such.  The beer flavor should be good in something like that.  Or a meatloaf.  hmmmmmm. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 11:57:13 am »
OK.  Then I guess we'll try them in a beef stew or such.  The beer flavor should be good in something like that.  Or a meatloaf.  hmmmmmm.
Yeah, beef stew is exactly what I was thinking, too. Or maybe a rich veggie stew.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »
Does freezing mushrooms after vacuum packing rid the possibility of botulism? As I'm sure you know, vacuum packing mushrooms should never be done because of the risk of botulism.

Either way, I hope it turns out for you, Denny! Sounds pretty gross to me! And I love mushrooms...
Jesse