Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle cleaning  (Read 1820 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Bottle cleaning
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:24:15 pm »
Just browsing through Jon Palmer's website and he mentions to really clean bottles after use prior to filling again. He mentions bleach and a scrub brush.

My method is to simply spray hot water and liquid soap, shake, repeat, rinse. Of course I sanitize prior to bottling.

Should I be doing more?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Bottle cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »
I rinse once empty. If i need a brief the bottle gets recycled. I could see that if you have very dirty bottles.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 06:34:08 pm »
After a bottling bug that through phenolics nastiness last year, I go full bore. New or used they get a hot oxyclean soak, rinse, store... or rinse, starsan, fill.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:00:25 pm »
After a bottling bug that through phenolics nastiness last year, I go full bore. New or used they get a hot oxyclean soak, rinse, store... or rinse, starsan, fill.
Similar: I rinse everything out after pouring, they get filled with water and oxyclean and soak until dishes get washed then washed with soap and water, rinsed, dried upside down, stored, then sanitized just before use.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »
Rinse well after drinking. Light wash cycle in dishwasher with half an ounce of star san. Never had an issue.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »
I too did as Jim does (I haven't bottled much since I started kegging over a year ago). As long as you rinse immediately after pouring it shouldn't take any scrubbing or much oxyclean or PBW.  I only had one infection and it was only in three bottles.  I got lazy and didn't inspect them like I normally did on bottling day by holding each bottle up to a light.  There was noticeable organic residue in the form of old dried yeast on those three bottles.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:26:48 am »
I rinse the bottle right after pouring into a glass a couple times with hot water and then just sanitize with Star San when bottling.  I've never had a problem.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 06:41:42 am »
I rinse the bottle right after pouring into a glass a couple times with hot water and then just sanitize with Star San when bottling.  I've never had a problem.
+1. new to bottling as i usually keg, but so far so good.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 06:55:02 am »

Same here, and I store my bottles upside down.
Jesse

Offline Multifaceted

• Cellarman
  • Jerk of All Trades
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 07:17:46 am »

Same here, and I store my bottles upside down.

+1

A good rinse, dump, fill 1/8 full and shake, dump, repeat, then rinse and dump again, and set to dry on bottling tree or dish rack - that's my muscle memory after pouring.

So long the bottle is thoroughly rinsed, dried and stored upside down, then rinsed again and sanitized on bottling day - I can't see how it could be an issue. I've got close to 2 dozen 5 gallon batches bottled that way without issue, off flavor, or bottle infection.

The one thing I always do is a quick visual inspection before the final rinse/sanitize. If there is some residue, I'll take a quick brush in a small container of PBW solution and work it out. If the reside is stubborn or the bottle just looks bad, I'll bypass it into a pile for a full PBW soak and aggressive brushing.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:43:31 am »
I rinse after pouring and drain and then run bottles through the dishwasher. If they don't come out clean I send them to the recycling bin. I have too many bottles to have to worry about scrubbing them out with bleach.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 10:27:59 am »
Good advice here.  If it needs a brush, I'll throw it out.  But I've found most everything will come clean with an oxy clean soak and a bottle washer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton