Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling Time  (Read 3171 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Bottling Time
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »
For those (few) who still bottle...

-Is it always at least two weeks?

-Will storage temps of 65-70 slow down the process?

-Aside from proper carbonation, how much longer would an IPA generally take to not be "green"?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Bottling Time
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:17 pm »
1 - no

2 - not really, but to low will

3 - always better fresh

Side note - I hate green as a descriptor. Same with young. No offense, they just never made sense to me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:22:35 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Bottling Time
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »
1/  Not always. Warmer temps help.

2/ No, don't go much lower though. 75 -even 80F will help you get thorough carbonation a bit quicker than say 65.

3/ Fresher is better with IPA. Just try not to let it be literally green - ie., if you filter out the hop particles thoroughly with a fine mesh bag or piece of women's hose then I say drink it as soon as it's carbed.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:55:17 pm »
If you bottlettle condition between 75-80 for average size beds they can be done in 7-10 days easy.

If you practice good fermentation with proper pitch and temp control your beer won't be "green" or "young" or whatever after its been carbonated unless you're talking about a complex high gravity beer, at least this is my experience YMMV:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:01:59 pm »
2/ No, don't go much lower though. 75 -even 80F will help you get thorough carbonation a bit quicker than say 65.

Hmmm, may be tough to get these bottles at 75 consistently. Do temp swings during bottling matter at all?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:06:42 pm »

Hmmm, may be tough to get these bottles at 75 consistently. Do temp swings during bottling matter at all?

No, just keep the swings above 65F if you can to get your beer carbed quickly.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:20:46 pm »

3/ Fresher is better with IPA. Just try not to let it be literally green - ie., if you filter out the hop particles thoroughly with a fine mesh bag or piece of women's hose then I say drink it as soon as it's carbed.
If you filter through men's hose should you wait longer? :D
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:24:12 pm »

If you filter through men's hose should you wait longer? :D

Can't unthink that one.  :)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:37:19 pm »
When I hear green I think not done. I would not be bottling beer that was not done. When it goes in the bottle the only thing lacking is co2

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:01:22 pm »
Thanks for the responses...does refrigeration after carbing do anything to prevent bottle explosions? Not that I'm expecting any, but just curious if it's recommended for any purpose for storage (vs. non-chilled) of up to a couple of months.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 12:19:04 pm »
Thanks for the responses...does refrigeration after carbing do anything to prevent bottle explosions? Not that I'm expecting any, but just curious if it's recommended for any purpose for storage (vs. non-chilled) of up to a couple of months.

it can help. ale yeast don't like it cold so they will slow way down. generally beers that are best fresh will do best stored cold so they will maintain that youthful vigor while beers you want to age for a while do better around 55 so the reactions can occur a bit faster.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 03:34:32 pm »
Popped open a bottle today after 6 hours or so in the refrigerator...nice hiss sound upon opening, nice head.

It's only been 5 days, so I'm sure it's not done but I'm curious if the hiss sound and good head retention is a sign that it's fully carbed?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 04:16:12 pm »
if you like its , its good! may not be done but if you are satisfied, start drinking.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 09:11:57 pm »
How long can I have my beer bottled before refrigerating? Will leaving them in the basement cause them to pop? I don't have a lot of space in the refrigerator, not for 30 bottles (22 oz)
Na zdrowie!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 04:20:15 am »
How long can I have my beer bottled before refrigerating? Will leaving them in the basement cause them to pop? I don't have a lot of space in the refrigerator, not for 30 bottles (22 oz)
You can have them sitting outside the fridge indefinitely without getting bottle bombs, unless there was too much sugar in the bottles.  Leave them out of the fridge until they are carbonated, then refrigerate to keep the flavor from deteriorating.  If you can't refrigerate, just keep them as cool as you can.