Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hop sale at nikobrew  (Read 3401 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
hop sale at nikobrew
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:46:06 pm »
I purchased some hops on sale this week i felt the pricing was pretty good. Ive bought here once before just different hops. Never used Chinook, Nugget or Willamette but i thought at these prices i would at least give them a shot. Any recommendations or opinions on those three?

Chinook Pellet 2013 One Pound   8.25
Nugget (German) 1 LB    7.75
Willamette Pellet One Pound   11.50
Centennial Pellets (One Pound)  12.50
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: hop sale at nikobrew
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »
I love Chinook, Centennial and Nugget. They're great in AIPA and other American (hoppy) styles. Centennial along with Cascade are also wonderful together in APA. As for Willamette, they're an American Fuggles variety, so they're suitable in British pale styles, porter and stout.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:55:07 pm »
Nugget is a great bittering hop. It's not quite as smooth bittering as Magnum, but it's not as rough as Chinook or Columbus. I use it for bittering all my American-style dark beers and occasionally APA's.

Chinook gives a nice bite when used for bittering. It's nice when you want a bit of snap to your IPA's. It also has a big pine flavor and aroma, making it a great late hop for IPA's as well.

Willamette is very Fuggle-like. I get earth with a touch of citrus. It's nice in English-style beers, and I like it in stouts and porters as well. I like how it pairs up with Roast Barley.

Centennial is a classic American flavor and aroma hop. It has the classic "C-hop" grapefruit zest note. I also get a little bit of lemonade and some pine from it. Use it in any beer whose name ends with "PA" or is brewed with 1056.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:37:49 am »
So it ought to be incredible in Pull My Finger Grampa - APA

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:23:46 am »
You'll need Chinook if you want to brew an Arrogant Bastard clone.  I usually get my year supply of Magnum, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Hallertauer from Niko.  Niko is a pretty cool guy too!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:52:12 am »
Hops direct is still running some decent deals on their 2013 leftovers. Not as good as their black friday deals but still pretty good.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:03:21 am »
Still a big fan of Hop Heaven.  Not necessarily the cheapest prices around (although they're not bad), but by far the best quality I've ever gotten.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:29:58 am »
Every bag of hops that I have received from Nikobrew has been past its prime.  My favorite supplier at this point is Hops Direct.  In my humble opinion, Puterbaugh Farms grows the best Cluster in the industry.  It's the only Cluster that I will use for late additions.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 11:42:20 am »
Every bag of hops that I have received from Nikobrew has been past its prime.  My favorite supplier at this point is Hops Direct.  In my humble opinion, Puterbaugh Farms grows the best Cluster in the industry.  It's the only Cluster that I will use for late additions.
I've never used theirCluster, but I will say the Columbus from Hops Direct is incredible. If you're looking for "dank", theirs is the dankest.

Hops Direct also gets some great imports. I got some organic UK Challenger from them last year that was out of this world. It has an amazing white chocolate aroma to it.

I'll also agree with Denny about Hop Heaven. Everything I've gotten from Ted has been top-notch. Ditto with Yakima Valley hops. They're still the only place I've been able to source Caliente from. And their Apollo is amazing as well - lots of orange and dank without any onion.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 11:47:22 am »
yakimavalleyhops.com is the best hops site I've used. Selection and quality are killer, BUT I haven't tried Hop Heaven. I'd love to try some of their hops.
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »
I'm glad I posted this question. Looks like I will be trying a few new vendors in the near future. Thanks for all the input and opinions.
Jimmykx250

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 02:52:03 pm »
+1million.  We run a small commercial operation, and my freezer is full of those silver bags.  Super fast shipping.  (although I am only 150 miles from Yakima.)  LOL  Sometimes they do limit you on certain varieties. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 02:53:45 pm »
yakimavalleyhops.com is the best hops site I've used. Selection and quality are killer, BUT I haven't tried Hop Heaven. I'd love to try some of their hops.

A quick look shows pellets only.  Is that right?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 03:16:59 pm »

A quick look shows pellets only.  Is that right?

They sell leaf hops too. Excellent quality and new varieties that are hard to get elsewhere.

EDIT - I use mostly their pellets, but the leaf varieties I've used have been excellent.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:18:59 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »
I have to ask just what do hops smell like when they are past their prime? Im just wondering- i like to think my nose works pretty well and I would just like to know what to look for when it comes to this. I guess im lucky cause all the hops I have bought so far are really pungent when i open the foil bags ive never sniffed and said that smells musty or old.
Jimmykx250