Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Washing Brett  (Read 2414 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Washing Brett
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:30:37 am »
I have my first 100% Brett beer fermenting (about 20 days in).  I used a 3L starter of Brett trois and 1.5L starter of Brett lambicus all pitched together in primary.  I haven't taken a reading yet but likely plan to transfer to secondary soon.  I wanted to wash the yeast and re-use if this beer turns out good as it took awhile to build up all that Brett in the starters.  Is there anything I should know about washing Brett before I transfer?  Anything different from normal sacc yeast washing practices?  I know it will be a mixed culture obviously but I am ok with that especially if the initial Brett beer comes out well.  Thanks.

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
Re: Washing Brett
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:28:03 am »
Before you do anything, take a look at this thread:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19850.0

It might save you a ton of work and help improve your beer as well.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 11:39:43 am »
Very interesting.  So if I understand this correctly- I can simply rack my beer, swirl the remaining beer ((1/2 inch or so), pour into sterilized container and decant liquid with yeast after a brief settling time to a separate sterile container and store that beer and suspended yeast for later use?  With Brett I guess I'd worry about it continuing to propagate in whatever sugars may still remain and in a closed container may not be a good idea.  Could always store with an airlock I guess.  It'll be in the fridge so certainly going slower whatever the case.  Feeding it extra beer up front seems less necessary if I expect to use in a few months.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 06:41:16 pm »
Yes thats it. And if you're worried about pressure just crack the lid to vent once a week or so.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »
If you use a mason jar then you stick the lid on then screw the top down only part - way.  This way the jar won't get pressurized.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:47:25 am »
Brett will last longer at normal temperatures over fridge temps. Store under an airlock to be safe.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 12:24:20 pm »
I store my cropped yeast cultures in 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks with #7 rubber stoppers and airlocks.  A six-pack of Corning 4980-500 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks can be had for $26.14 with free shipping on orders over $35.00 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/PYREX-500mL-Narrow-Erlenmeyer-Flasks/dp/B004XR5V0A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1417720909&sr=8-4&keywords=Corning+4980-500).

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 01:25:32 pm »
So if I harvest the yeast and feed it a little bit (500ml wort) how long can I expect it to remain viable and ready to pitch in another batch?  Probably would feed again a day or two prior to next brew day just to rev it up a bit

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:01 pm »
So if I harvest the yeast and feed it a little bit (500ml wort) how long can I expect it to remain viable and ready to pitch in another batch?  Probably would feed again a day or two prior to next brew day just to rev it up a bit

you don't need to feed it until you are ready to use it. just leave it in some of the beer. it will stay viable for a long time. weeks for sure, months likely. make a starter when you are ready to repitch if it's been more than a couple weeks though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 08:48:29 am »
Brett is seemingly indestructible. I would give its shelf life somewhere between months and years.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing