Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming Sugar Issue  (Read 1886 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Priming Sugar Issue
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:25:34 pm »
Just bottled a beer today and had a new issue pop up. Mixed up some water and the priming sugar, boiled for about 10 and let it sit for about 10 minutes while I siphoned into the bottling bucket.

When I mixed in the priming sugar it was VERY syrupy. I'm guessing I waited too long to pour it in and it cooled and thickened. I don't think it mixed too well and I know I left some behind. Any thoughts?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Priming Sugar Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:28:22 pm »
Not sure what you can do now, but I always heat sugar solution, pour into bottling bucket, and rack beer onto it almost immediately. The priming solution goes into the bucket and the racking beer mixes it in. 25 batches into my bottling career and no observed issues with variances in carb level from bottle to bottle.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:33:29 pm »
Not sure what you can do now, but I always heat sugar solution, pour into bottling bucket, and rack beer onto it almost immediately. The priming solution goes into the bucket and the racking beer mixes it in. 25 batches into my bottling career and no observed issues with variances in carb level from bottle to bottle.

Yeah, I don't know why I forgot about racking onto it!

Offline piszkiewiczp

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:39:59 pm »
Ditto on putting sugar in the bottling bucket first, and I'll stir after adding the beer (belt & suspenders). I've never seen the priming sugar get syrupy.
How much sugar and water did you use? I'm in the 250 - 500 ml range of water for a 5 gallon batch, depending on the amount of sugar used.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 02:14:36 pm »
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.  The worst outcome in all likelihood is that you have to wait a little longer for those to carb up.  Let us know in three weeks.
Run then beer.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:34:44 pm »
Ditto on putting sugar in the bottling bucket first, and I'll stir after adding the beer (belt & suspenders). I've never seen the priming sugar get syrupy.
How much sugar and water did you use? I'm in the 250 - 500 ml range of water for a 5 gallon batch, depending on the amount of sugar used.

How much water do you use? I use the priming sugar calc. on Northern Brewer. I'm never concerned with the volume of sugar, but maybe my water volume matters?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:37:36 pm »

How much water do you use? I use the priming sugar calc. on Northern Brewer. I'm never concerned with the volume of sugar, but maybe my water volume matters?

I use just enough water to dissolve the sugar.  I only boil it for a minute or 2.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 05:18:24 pm »

I use just enough water to dissolve the sugar.  I only boil it for a minute or 2.
Same just about. I bring water to a boil, dissolve the sugar, shut it off, install lid, and then label it "not wiener water"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 05:54:15 pm »
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.  The worst outcome in all likelihood is that you have to wait a little longer for those to carb up.  Let us know in three weeks.
While I agree that there isn't much point in worrying about it at this time this statement doesn't scan. Of the sugar was not will distributed the worst that could happen is some bottles not carbonating at all while others become severely over carbonated. The amount of sugar each bottle needs to achieve the desired carbonation level is fairly straight forward. If you are experiencing what you describe I would be more careful to make sure you are waiting for your beer to finish all the way.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce