Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stone Imperial Golden Stout (Stochasticity Master of Disguise)  (Read 1733 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Stone Imperial Golden Stout (Stochasticity Master of Disguise)
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:36:06 am »
According to the label, it is brewed with 2-row, amber malt, carapils, and flaked oats as well as coffee and cocoa.

This is really interesting beer.  I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it has a great roast aroma and flavor as well as the the light chocolate notes you would normally get from darker grains.

I don't know how they incorporated the coffee without extracting any of the color(or really much coffee flavor other than roastiness), but I'd like to find out. 

My only complaint is the noticeable alcohol presence.  It has a sweetness to it that I think undermines the other aromas and flavors a bit (it's 9.7% ABV).

Overall though, I really enjoyed it and will likely pick up some more.  This would be a fun beer to try to replicate at home, though I'd probably drop the ABV a bit.   
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stone Imperial Golden Stout (Stochasticity Master of Disguise)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:19:20 pm »
Sounds a lot like the white stout recipe in the book.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Stone Imperial Golden Stout (Stochasticity Master of Disguise)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:44:05 am »
I asked about that at cascade with their white coffee stout and they told me the coffee is used in such low volumes compared to the beer that there is not enough color contribution to make a visible difference.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing