Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun Jacket  (Read 1685 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Mash Tun Jacket
« on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:26 pm »
I have three brews on my new Blichmann kettles, a 10 gallon BK and 15 gallon MT.  It was obvious from the first brew that keeping the mash temp up was going to be an issue.  The first one I had to add some of the sparge water to keep it up.  The second one I added that silver bubble insulation which did very little.  The third brew I added a thick blanket with a heating pad on top of the lid - that finally did the trick.

Being kind of OCD about things looking good, I started doing research.  I found Canvas Keg Jackets online at a place called Rapids (http://rapidswholesale.com/beer-supplies-draft-beer-equipment/party-picnic-keg-pumps-and-coolers/keg-cooling-jackets-and-blankets/brown-canvas-keg-jacket.html) for just under $50 delivered.  It is very thick and heavy duty.

I was pleasantly surprised that the thing fit over the handles & sight tube of the MT!  I'll have to cut a slit for the thermometer and valve, but that is minor.  There is even an opening on top (for the tap) so I can run the cord from the heating pad out of that.  Here it is:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:55:18 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton