Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: scorched alum pot  (Read 1102 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
scorched alum pot
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:09:44 pm »
My burner leaves the bottom of my pot black every time i brew. It the dark star burner northern brewer sells.
I mess with the venturi device but the flame doesn't seem to change at all. Is this the result of a cheap burner or will this happen with any burner? Anything I can do to prevent this? Thanks,
Jimmykx250

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: scorched alum pot
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:23:48 pm »
It's really a matter of how cleanly the burner is burning your fuel. The venturi should make a difference, but no guarantees there. I have a bayou classic that spmetimes does the same thing, but not all the time. I do adjust the airflow each brew day, looking for a nice all blue flame that looks like it is dancing on top of the burner. I'm sure someone else will have more helpful info for you. Good luck
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
Re: scorched alum pot
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 11:14:32 pm »
check the neck of the burner. something may be in there, restricting air flow. your not getting a hot enough burn. burners could be clogged too.

not to solve the problem, but you can do the old Boy Scout trick of rubbing the outside of your pot with dish soap. makes cleaning the soot off a breeze.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified