Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Boston Lager Receipe  (Read 2261 times)

Offline stevefry

• 1st Kit
  • Retired with time to brew
Boston Lager Receipe
« on: March 08, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
Does anyone have a tried and proved GOOD clone receipe for a Samuel Adams Boston Lager?  I refused to try it for many years because of my prejudice for "lager" beers.  Once I broke down and had one, I fell in love with it and want to brew my own.  Thanks for your feedback, Steve :)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Boston Lager Receipe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:26:38 pm »
From the website it's 2-row and Crystal 60. Hops are Hallertau Mittelfrueh and Tettnang Tettnanger Noble hops. IBU's are 30 and ABV is 4.9%. This should get you going in the right direction.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:29:44 pm by flbrewer »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »
I have tried a couple of times to clone this beer and missed the mark, although that was many years ago.  The notes I have now say to aim for 30 IBUs (not 60 -- sorry flbrewer, 60 is WAY too many, must be a typo!!) and to definitely use Wyeast 2206.  I think yeast is the key to the whole thing here.  In the past I used the wrong yeast, but now based on my great experiences with 2206, I think that truly is the key factor.  Beyond the IBU thing, flbrewer is right, use a bit of Crystal 60 and a blend of Hallertauer and Tettnanger all the way through, and 2206, and you should get real close.  Ferment cool in the upper 40s.  If you can't ferment cold then try Wyeast 1007 instead, should get you really close.

Now I want to try brewing this again!!  SABL is one of my all time favorite beers.  I must confess, I've mutated into a huge beer snob in the past couple years... but I still always love my SABL.  It just really is THAT good!!  And to those who don't agree, just admit that you're wrong, and we'll all get along fine!!  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:52:50 pm »
I still like Boston Lager, too. Good beer to have a few of.
Jon H.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:56:43 pm »

Indeed.  Cheers!   8)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:58:44 pm »

Indeed.  Cheers!   8)

I got a 12 pack of fresh cans recently that had the best hop character I've found in Boston Lager in years. I enjoyed every can of it - in a glass of course. Yeah, cheers !
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:16 pm »
I have tried a couple of times to clone this beer and missed the mark, although that was many years ago.  The notes I have now say to aim for 30 IBUs (not 60 -- sorry flbrewer, 60 is WAY too many, must be a typo!!) and to definitely use Wyeast 2206.  I think yeast is the key to the whole thing here.  In the past I used the wrong yeast, but now based on my great experiences with 2206, I think that truly is the key factor.  Beyond the IBU thing, flbrewer is right, use a bit of Crystal 60 and a blend of Hallertauer and Tettnanger all the way through, and 2206, and you should get real close.  Ferment cool in the upper 40s.  If you can't ferment cold then try Wyeast 1007 instead, should get you really close.

Now I want to try brewing this again!!  SABL is one of my all time favorite beers.  I must confess, I've mutated into a huge beer snob in the past couple years... but I still always love my SABL.  It just really is THAT good!!  And to those who don't agree, just admit that you're wrong, and we'll all get along fine!!  ;)

Yup, 30 IBU's!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 07:38:09 pm »

While far from one of my favorite beers (I won't argue with your tastes) there have been plenty of times when I was very thankful that an establishment had Boston Lager. It certainly is a fine beer. no argument there!

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:18:52 pm »

While far from one of my favorite beers (I won't argue with your tastes) there have been plenty of times when I was very thankful that an establishment had Boston Lager. It certainly is a fine beer. no argument there!

Thankful for this beer when I get gift cards to Applebee's and Olive Garden.  Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are good "go-to" beers.  Boston Lager was one of my gateway beers.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline stevefry

• 1st Kit
  • Retired with time to brew
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 08:33:18 am »
Thanks to all, for their input.  I will give this a try in the next couple of weeks.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:59 am »
Are those hops readily available?

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 12:32:36 pm »

Hallertau Mittelfrueh can be hard to find, but Tradition, which is basically a modern descendant of it, is pretty easy to source.  Tettanager shouldn't be hard.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 05:09:54 pm »

Hallertau Mittelfrueh can be hard to find, but Tradition, which is basically a modern descendant of it, is pretty easy to source.  Tettanager shouldn't be hard.

hersbruker is more readily available and works great.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: