Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: contamination  (Read 3166 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
contamination
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:05:25 am »
Hey, I was brewing and during the chilling of the hot wort a paper towel briefly touched the cool wort (the wort was around 120degrees).  This ticked me off (as I just told me friend to be super careful), but my friend is not anal retentive like I am (and it was his first intro to home brewing)!! Do ya'll think my beer will be contaminated and have off flavors as a result of this mistake?  I got off to a good fermentation because I pitched lots of healthy yeast from a large starter (for my traditional bock). 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: contamination
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:12:15 am »
I willing to bet you will be fine.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 12:54:16 pm »
You may notice some small nuances of paper towel essence in your beer. Only kidding, you'll be fine.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:07:01 pm »
yep i've dropped worse in my kettle as its chilling and not an issue.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:19:26 pm »
IMO, the importance of sanitizing is pressed because most people aren't meticulous and OCD. For those of us who are, you should be in the clear with good practices. I've seen pictures on other forums of home brewers setups and it's scary.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 01:26:29 pm »
As others have said - you'll be fine. I doubt paper towels are teaming with beer spoilage microbes right off the roll. In fact I'd bet they are pretty clean. Maybe if you had been cleaning up grain dust with it, you could possible have a problem....

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 01:50:07 pm »

As others have said - you'll be fine. I doubt paper towels are teaming with beer spoilage microbes right off the roll. In fact I'd bet they are pretty clean. Maybe if you had been cleaning up grain dust with it, you could possible have a problem....

That's what I was thinking: what was the towel used for prior to contact?  If just off the roll - no issue. If used to wipe your hands after sneezing - maybe an issue.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 05:24:58 pm »
IMO, the importance of sanitizing is pressed because most people aren't meticulous and OCD. For those of us who are, you should be in the clear with good practices. I've seen pictures on other forums of home brewers setups and it's scary.

And I have seen some commercial brewery setups too that would scare you as well...

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »

That's what I was thinking: what was the towel used for prior to contact?  If just off the roll - no issue. If used to wipe your hands after sneezing - maybe an issue.
Occasionally I get a slight drip from where the water hose connects to the wort chiller, and we were trying to place the paper towel in such way as to prevent drippage.  That's another question I need to ask.  How to create a secure, drip free connection? 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:32:39 pm »
Replace the rubber washers, add thread tape, swap threaded connectors for brass quick connects.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:28 pm »

Occasionally I get a slight drip from where the water hose connects to the wort chiller, and we were trying to place the paper towel in such way as to prevent drippage.  That's another question I need to ask.  How to create a secure, drip free connection?
Just reading this description, I'm guessing you are talking about hose clamp connections on chiller. This is a nightmare for me too. It's only water going through, so I have stopped disconnecting after use. I have not had as many issues since starting to leave them on. I see you can buy or make welded fittings, wish I had known that before buying a chiller with hose clamp attachments. Try out your connections in hot water that you don't care about, then tighten them some more And they might be ready for boiling wort.

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 09:48:59 pm »

Just reading this description, I'm guessing you are talking about hose clamp connections on chiller. This is a nightmare for me too. It's only water going through, so I have stopped disconnecting after use. I have not had as many issues since starting to leave them on.

I haven't disconnected these in years.  No worries, no leaks.

I blow out the chiller with air to clear as much water as possible.  Whatever is left gets pushed out with the next use.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 10:54:33 pm »
I hear you Joe, just took me a year's worth of usage to realize this was the way to handle it.

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 01:08:22 pm »
I hear you Joe, just took me a year's worth of usage to realize this was the way to handle it.

If it only took you a year, your a faster learner than I am.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 01:29:11 pm »

I blow out the chiller with air to clear as much water as possible.
Why? Only thing I could think of is cold climates with hard freezes.