Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: MT cleaning  (Read 4263 times)

Offline dcb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Num, me vexo?
Re: MT cleaning
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 07:47:56 am »
I use my mash tun as a container for an oxyclean soak for my bottles a couple of days before bottling, so it gets a good secondary cleaning for free.    On brew day it gets a blast with the hose, washed with a soapy sponge, and a rinse.   Being on the hot side, it doesn't need this level of attention, but I would never begrudge an extra 5 minutes to make sure something is whistle clean.   

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2015, 06:45:27 pm »
IF I wanted to take out the false bottom at some point to clean under it...would I simply unscrew one of the clamps?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:30:59 am by flbrewer »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »
Yep. You might be able to use softer silicone tubing that would allow you to simply move it out of the way, but that might make the false bottom left up while in use. Even with the stiffer pvc tubing, you should be able to move it around, especially after it softens from the heat of your mash.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 07:05:22 pm »
With the soft hose you'll probably want to put a little weight on the false bottom to make sure it doesn't float up off the bottom of the kettle. A length of copper pipe resting on it while mashing in will work.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
MT cleaning
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 07:41:30 pm »
Like I said that's a similar false bottom. I can't simply lift mine up because it's a larger bottom that goes right to the edge of the cooler.

Will take photos shortly.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:46:57 pm by flbrewer »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 05:50:11 am »
If your false bottom fits the bottom of the cooler that snug, there is no need for hose clamps.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 06:32:43 am »
Replaced the picture above with my mash tun...as you can see it's close to the edges, but will move around slightly. Also, below is showing that I can't simply lift it out attached.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 06:57:32 am »
I think you will be fine without removing it. Enjoy

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 07:04:50 am »
Ok, but would I take that far clamp off to remove the bottom?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2015, 07:16:11 am »
I use the super hard thermoplastic tubing without clamps, so my process is like this: twist the false bottom while pulling on the tubing and cursing.  Once I get one end on the tubing off I unscrew the nipple from the mash tun, which frees up enough room to pull the false bottom.  In the picture you have this thread taped, which isn't at all necessary.  Remember the purpose of that false bottom is to filter wort from the grains.  Without the thread tape, I doubt any wort would even get through, but even if it did that would be a good thing.  Certainly no grain would get through.  Just screw in that nipple by hand until snug so you can easily remove it.  If that silcone tubing is loose enough to come off from stirring I'd ditch it for something that doesn't require clamping. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 07:27:39 am »
I'm confused...are you saying it shouldn't have tape? I don't want to modify it and I assume it works well as it was shipped ready to use by Morebeer. It drained well yesterday w water.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 07:29:13 am »
I disagree on the thread tape. Without the tape the siphon may be lost once the grain gets to the level of the and liquid will be lost. I base this solely on my setup where I need tape on both my kettle and tun to minimize dead space.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 07:43:46 pm »
May be a good test for the OP.  Using the same setup though I have about 1/2 quart dead space w/o thread tape.  I'm assuming if there is any pull at all from the inside threads it is almost immediately plugged with grain.   Never had a dead space discrepancy yet.  I also dont use clamps on the hose for the same reason.