Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental size batches  (Read 1799 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Experimental size batches
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:04:09 pm »
I've got a 1st World problem.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who is torn between experimenting and brewing beer for drinking.  I've got the system for brewing 5 gallon batches of beer to drink.  But I don't want to waste all the ingredients and work making that much beer that will likely be dumped after I taste the results of the experiment. 

So I'm thinking about assembling a system to brew a gallon or less. 

I know I would really enjoy a lab grade setup, but I don't have any experience with that except for my 2 & 5 liter Erlenmeyer flasks for making yeast starters.  So I'm coming to you all.  How would you do this?

My values are: easy to clean, elegance of design and efficiency.  A lot to ask I know, but I can't be the first one to invent this wheel.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Experimental size batches
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:34:55 pm »
I've hough about doing 1 gal batches as well and basically I figured I would simply do BIAB on my stove in a smaller kettle, primary in a 64oz growler. It seemed pretty simple to do, but then I decided to do another full batch;)

Edit: I did realize the growler would be too small as a primary and figured I'd get 2 gal bucket
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:36:46 pm by duboman »
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:18 pm »
I do 1 gallon batches, but just to test out new hops. For those I use dme and part of a packet of S05. I don't go that small for any other reason though.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:09:27 pm »
I've done quite a few small batches that produce a 12 pack of beer. I hate it. I'm getting me a couple of 2.5 gal kegs from AiH and doing 2-2.5 gal batches. Too much effort for little payoff and bottling 12 beers is annoying enough that I put it off like cleaning the bathroom.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Experimental size batches
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:25:05 pm »
The science/experimenting aspect of brewing is the main reason I enjoy this hobby that's why I have downsized the 2.5 gal batches. It does seem to go fast at that size between a growler to the homebrew club meeting and a few pints for  my friends and myself. This is what I use.

Small Coleman cooler/Walmart  28 qt I think with ss Braid. Big enough for no sparge if I want.

5 gal carboy

36 qt bayou SS pot
Camp chef 2 burner outdoor stove.

I also invested in a few 2.5 gal kegs but I do use my 5 gal for them sometimes. Lots of purging:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:27:13 pm by quattlebaum »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:41:22 pm »
BIAB, and the smallest fermenter you can find.  I brew 1.7-gallon batches all the time these days, BIAB, 3-gallon fermenter (a little too big but oh well).  No need for a chiller or fancy equipment.  Git 'r done.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »
My test batches are extract, 15 minute boil, one gallon preboil, fermented in a 1 gallon jug. I can get three separate batches done in under 2 hours, and about 7 or 8 batches in the time span of a typical all grain brewday.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:59:40 am »
It seems there are 3 threads essentially on the same topic: see "keggle" thread here and "efficiency..." under General Homebrewing for everyone's ideas.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 12:00:12 pm »
It seems there are 3 threads essentially on the same topic: see "keggle" thread here and "efficiency..." under General Homebrewing for everyone's ideas.

Yes, I've been watching those.  Honestly, I'm looking for a lab grade setup.  Just not sure where to go / how to set it up - but I'm getting there.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton