Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SMaSH Centennial Wet Hop IPA  (Read 2609 times)

Offline bigapinnc

• 1st Kit
SMaSH Centennial Wet Hop IPA
« on: December 05, 2014, 08:29:50 am »
So I picked up 12 oz of Centennial Wet hops yesterday at the LHBS. They look awesome. Was curious if anyone has done a SMaSH with Wet hops before and what their additions and recipe was. I was thinking of just doing this:

12# German Pilsner

1 oz Centennial Pellet (60 minutes)
6 oz Centennial Wet Hops (15 minutes)
6 oz Centennial Wet Hops Flame out/Hop Stand 25 minutes)

I was going to do a 90 minute boil because of the pilsner malt

Use White Lab California V

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

This was a last minute recipe me and the LHBS owner put together and hopping that it would be good

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: SMaSH Centennial Wet Hop IPA
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:14:30 am »
So I picked up 12 oz of Centennial Wet hops yesterday at the LHBS. They look awesome. Was curious if anyone has done a SMaSH with Wet hops before and what their additions and recipe was. I was thinking of just doing this:

12# German Pilsner

1 oz Centennial Pellet (60 minutes)
6 oz Centennial Wet Hops (15 minutes)
6 oz Centennial Wet Hops Flame out/Hop Stand 25 minutes)

I was going to do a 90 minute boil because of the pilsner malt

Use White Lab California V

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

This was a last minute recipe me and the LHBS owner put together and hopping that it would be good

I have a pils malt based IPA on tap now that's pretty darn good, so I like the approach. The only changes I'd make are to use an oz of Columbus to bitter with  (it has a nice 'IPA bitterness' to me), and move the 15 minute hops to more like 5 minutes to preserve more of that fresh aroma. The hopstand hops will give you a nice amount of great flavor. Also, I like to give an IPA 30-40 minutes on the hopstand, to extract a little more assertive IPA goodness. Let us know how it comes out !
Jon H.

Offline bigapinnc

• 1st Kit
Re: SMaSH Centennial Wet Hop IPA
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:10 am »
Thanks so much for the advice! I have never done a hopstand.  I usually run straight into my plate chiller and into the carboy.  I am very excited to try this out!  I have never used fresh hops before.  should be interesting