Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager yeast starter at 50 degrees  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Willy14433

• 1st Kit
Lager yeast starter at 50 degrees
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:11:29 am »
I just bought More Beers temp controlled conical fermenter because I want to brew a classic German pale lager. I read the brewing classic lager article on the AHA site and it recommends fermenting your yeast starter at 50 degrees. I typically use a stir plate when making my starter, but don't have a practical way to keep the starter at 50 degrees. In order to maintain that temp couldn't I just brew the starter in my temp controlled conical and pour my cooled down wort in with it once my starter has reached a good yeast cell population? I'm talking about a 5 gallon batch. I've brewed with a California common yeast lager before since it is more tolerant to higher fermenting temps, but this time I want to use a more classic lager yeast. Any recommendations for a SMASH pale German lager?
"Women, you can't live with 'em......hey, pass the peanuts." Norm from Cheers.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lager yeast starter at 50 degrees
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:18:42 am »
I just bought More Beers temp controlled conical fermenter because I want to brew a classic German pale lager. I read the brewing classic lager article on the AHA site and it recommends fermenting your yeast starter at 50 degrees. I typically use a stir plate when making my starter, but don't have a practical way to keep the starter at 50 degrees. In order to maintain that temp couldn't I just brew the starter in my temp controlled conical and pour my cooled down wort in with it once my starter has reached a good yeast cell population? I'm talking about a 5 gallon batch. I've brewed with a California common yeast lager before since it is more tolerant to higher fermenting temps, but this time I want to use a more classic lager yeast. Any recommendations for a SMASH pale German lager?

Ya know, based on my experience, they're just wrong.  Ferment your lager starter at room temp.  You're growing yeast, not making beer, and yeast grows better at warmer temps.  That's the only way I've ever made lager starters and I get great results.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:39 am »

Ya know, based on my experience, they're just wrong.  Ferment your lager starter at room temp.  You're growing yeast, not making beer, and yeast grows better at warmer temps.  That's the only way I've ever made lager starters and I get great results.

+1
Jon H.

Offline Willy14433

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:21:44 am »
Thanks. Makes sense to me. Any suggestions on a good lager yeast?
"Women, you can't live with 'em......hey, pass the peanuts." Norm from Cheers.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:32:27 am »
WLP-830 for German Pilsners.

WLP-833 for malty lagers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:51:29 am »

Let me add that you'll want to decant the spent wort from the starter, but that was implicit in Denny's response.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:16:58 am »

WY 2124 or
WY 2112
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:52:42 am »

Or if you're a Wyeast person, WY2206 for malty lagers and WY2124 for German pils
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 02:46:52 pm »

If ya want use Saflager 34/70 and skip the starter all together. that is if your gonna make a German pils. if maltier style this yeast will work well also but i like wlp 833 or wy2206

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 02:54:47 pm »

Or if you're a Wyeast person, WY2206 for malty lagers and WY2124 for German pils

Yep, along with WY2487 (Ayinger), my favorites.  2124 is just great for several lagers IMO.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 03:37:41 pm »
I'll chime in with WY2633 (Octoberfest lager blend). It's fantastic in O'fests (unsurprisingly), but it has become my house yeast for any malty lager,
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 06:35:36 am »
To add to this, I ferment my lager starters at room temp and crash and decant.  I just make sure it close (within a couple degrees) of the wort (pitch at 45F) so it doesn't shock the yeast when I pitch.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 06:45:59 am »
To add to this, I ferment my lager starters at room temp and crash and decant.  I just make sure it close (within a couple degrees) of the wort (pitch at 45F) so it doesn't shock the yeast when I pitch.
+1

i use WLP830 and 838 often
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 08:50:08 pm »
I've made a few lagers with Omega yeast Y-06 - I think it is pretty much the same as 2124.  It works great on German pils and I really like 2206 on maltier styles.  Finally there is 802 for Czech beers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 05:48:14 am »

I've always grown my lager starters at room temp and it works fine. I also ferment a bit quicker than usual (http://brulosophy.com/lager-method), having compared this to a more traditionally fermented lager, I can't say I'll be going back to the old way anytime soon. Belgian Pils + Saaz makes for a delicious SMaSH lager! If you make your starter big enough, you can just steal some yeast off of it for future use, that's what I do (http://brulosophy.com/yeast-harvesting). Cheers!