Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speidel Sale  (Read 1729 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Speidel Sale
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:29:00 pm »
FYI, More Beer has a 15% sale going on right now on the Speidel fermenters.

http://morebeer.com/category/speidel-fermenter-sale.html

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Speidel Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:54:27 pm »
Just saw that email. 15% off isn't bad, especially with the free shipping.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:18:59 am »
I may need to pick one up. Thanks for the heads up.

One question. I do a lot of fermenting in a water/ice bath. Would submerging the spigot for weeks at a time increase contamination risks? I realize it wouldn't be in contact with the beer but I am more worried about picking something up while transferring.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:21:45 am »

One question. I do a lot of fermenting in a water/ice bath. Would submerging the spigot for weeks at a time increase contamination risks? I realize it wouldn't be in contact with the beer but I am more worried about picking something up while transferring.
Hmm... I'm not really sure... I would probably mix up a spray bottle of sanitizer and spray a bunch up in it just to be on the safe side (I would do this rather it was in water or not though...)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:38:32 am »

I was worried about the spigot at first but not really much of a concern now when I see how it is constructed and how easy it is to clean. But, submerged in water ... probably not a factor if you spray sani up there thoroughly. But, you can always just cap it and siphon out the top.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:41:56 am »

I was worried about the spigot at first but not really much of a concern now when I see how it is constructed and how easy it is to clean. But, submerged in water ... probably not a factor if you spray sani up there thoroughly. But, you can always just cap it and siphon out the top.

Yeah good points. Maybe spray it and use a bottle brush or something. I have been wanting one for a while now...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:12:22 am »
I had the same concern. I opted to use the cap and use an auto siphon.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 08:36:03 am »

Yeah good points. Maybe spray it and use a bottle brush or something. I have been wanting one for a while now...
I wouldn't use the brush on it as it's plastic.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"