Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Timing a D rest  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Timing a D rest
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 05:48:03 pm »
Also, don't be overly concerned about letting the wort chill for a period in your lager freezer. If your sanitation is sound, that wort will be fine chilling to proper pitching temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 06:31:47 pm »
Also, don't be overly concerned about letting the wort chill for a period in your lager freezer. If your sanitation is sound, that wort will be fine chilling to proper pitching temps.

Very good to know for my next lager run

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 07:21:25 am »

I always let my lagers sit in the fermentation chamber overnight, then I transfer to another carboy, hit with O2, and pitch the yeast.  It's amazing how much break material settles in just 12-14 hours.  Pitch at 45F, free-rise to 50F then a D-Rest at 55-56F for a couple days.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:45 pm »
i just kegged and started the lagering process..was kinda strange,  it almost had a wine like character but finished malty/hoppy ..Anybody know what this wine flavor is? is very subtle but very annoying..im hoping the lagering will take care of it..Lager styles are tricky i am quickly realizing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 08:00:33 pm »
i just kegged and started the lagering process..was kinda strange,  it almost had a wine like character but finished malty/hoppy ..Anybody know what this wine flavor is? is very subtle but very annoying..im hoping the lagering will take care of it..Lager styles are tricky i am quickly realizing

hmm. if by wine like you mean vinegar like, that can be acetobacter infection.

what kind of beer was it you made?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 08:31:13 pm »
I could see acetaldehyde giving an impression of wine-like if you're not familiar with it. Sherry like could be oxidized ingredients (grain) I suppose

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 10:04:28 pm »
I could see acetaldehyde giving an impression of wine-like if you're not familiar with it. Sherry like could be oxidized ingredients (grain) I suppose
[/quote

you know since you said that it made me notice im getting a apple note rather then wine..there is no sour vinegar presence at all..i just confused wine with apple some how..im getting sam adams with a splash of apple juice..gonna let her rip @ 33 for 2 months

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 11:16:02 pm »
My guess, acetaldehyde. It might reduce in time, might not. If its still drinkable but just annoying,  maybe dry hop it to cover.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 06:13:44 am »
+2 to acetaldehyde.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 11:53:29 am »
if it's acetaldehyde you should be able to 'boil' it out. acetaldehyde boils at around 70*f so if you take a sample and warm it to 75 for a day you should no longer taste the apple, or at least it should be reduced.

You might also be able to deal with it by krausening the beer (pitching a large active starter into the beer).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 12:49:40 pm »
if it's acetaldehyde you should be able to 'boil' it out. acetaldehyde boils at around 70*f so if you take a sample and warm it to 75 for a day you should no longer taste the apple, or at least it should be reduced.

You might also be able to deal with it by krausening the beer (pitching a large active starter into the beer).

Thats what im gonna do..Does the yeast choice matter for krausening? I have a pack of S-33 on hand will that work? Or go with a clean strain like us 05?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »

Thats what im gonna do..Does the yeast choice matter for krausening? I have a pack of S-33 on hand will that work? Or go with a clean strain like us 05?

it shouldn't matter much but I would lean towards either the same yeast you used in primary or a neutral yeast. make a 1 or 2 liter starter and when it's cranking pitch into the apple batch.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce