Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Seeking Old Ale recipes  (Read 5158 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: Seeking Old Ale recipes
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 03:31:30 pm »
i like this one

Recipe: Fuller's 1845
I've brewed the version of that from Stan Hieronymus's book a couple of times. It ups the amber to 20%, although I've cut it back to 16. I've been pretty happy with it.

I've just a small taste of 1845, at the end of the Fuller's brewery tour. I was so taken with it that I had to brew a clone :) They seem to export it to the US, but I haven't been able to find it.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 03:46:47 pm »
i like this one

Recipe: Fuller's 1845
I've brewed the version of that from Stan Hieronymus's book a couple of times. It ups the amber to 20%, although I've cut it back to 16. I've been pretty happy with it.

I've just a small taste of 1845, at the end of the Fuller's brewery tour. I was so taken with it that I had to brew a clone :) They seem to export it to the US, but I haven't been able to find it.

The 1845 is very nice. Last time we did the tour we had a taste of that, the Bengal Lancer, and the Past Masters XX, which was stunning. That was after all of the usual suspects, so it was a good tour.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 03:51:52 pm »
Yeah, that had to be a great tour. I've had the 1845 a few times - really nice beer.
Jon H.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 04:49:14 pm »
Yeah, that had to be a great tour. I've had the 1845 a few times - really nice beer.
I had a blast. It's a bit outside of central London, so I don't recommend it for first time visitors to the city. I posted some pictures in a thread
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13784
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 04:54:15 pm »
I had a blast. It's a bit outside of central London, so I don't recommend it for first time visitors to the city. I posted some pictures in a thread
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13784

I think I remember seeing those - nice. I've gotta get to Europe !
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 10:31:46 am »
In all the research I've done on old ales over the years, one thing that has been recommended which I have not tried is to use treacle for part of the fermentables.

I think molasses may be a close substitute, but Lyle's makes treacle if you can find it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 02:35:31 pm »
In all the research I've done on old ales over the years, one thing that has been recommended which I have not tried is to use treacle for part of the fermentables.

I think molasses may be a close substitute, but Lyle's makes treacle if you can find it.

I've bought it off amazon. I mix it with Lyle's golden syrup to make various invert syrups.
Kyle M.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »
This one took home 5 golds in fairly large comps last year including a 2nd BOS at the NYS fair in June.  It was no-sparged with a 44% efficiency for a 5 gallon batch.

24# Maris Otter
1.5 # English Crystal 60L
1# Special Roast
12 oz. English Crystal 120L
1# D-180 Candi Syrup (boiled for 90 min)

Mash between 149-152F

42 IBU's -

.85 oz German Magnum - 60 min

pitched slurry of WY 1469 with OG of 1.087 and FG of 1.024

---The only changes I would make would be to keep upping the malt profile a bit more (i.e. possibly add another character specialty malt or increase the crystals a bit). 

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »

This one took home 5 golds in fairly large comps last year including a 2nd BOS at the NYS fair in June.  It was no-sparged with a 44% efficiency for a 5 gallon batch.

24# Maris Otter
1# Special Roast

Mash between 149-152F

42 IBU's -

---The only changes I would make would be to keep upping the malt profile a bit more (i.e. possibly add another character specialty malt or increase the crystals a bit).
I like the looks of this a lot
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 07:15:41 pm »
For something huge like this, what is the best mash schedule? Mash in heavy maybe low for protein rest, second infusion for sac, runoff; or all in at once; or mash in and mash out infusions for proper pre-boil volume. I normally batch sparse but I see you ran this as no sparse which would likely work best for me as well, just not sure of the best path for that...
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 02:20:29 pm »

24# Maris Otter
1# Special Roast

Mash between 149-152F

42 IBU's -

I like the looks of this a lot

Me, too.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »
For something huge like this, what is the best mash schedule? Mash in heavy maybe low for protein rest, second infusion for sac, runoff; or all in at once; or mash in and mash out infusions for proper pre-boil volume. I normally batch sparse but I see you ran this as no sparse which would likely work best for me as well, just not sure of the best path for that...

single infusion is traditional for English ales and I don't see any reason it wouldn't work here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 03:03:26 pm »
Sounds great, don't know when I'll get around to it, but it looks like a great brew to have around aging
Frank L.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »
Depending on the size of your mash tun you can start with a 1-1.2 qt/# infusion mash. I chose the 1 qt/# and used 6.85 gallons of strike water.  Do a 60 minute saccharification rest, then add 3.6 gallons of @ 205 deg F water to reach a mash out temp around 165-168F for 10 min.  Recirculate and then drain into the kettle and you are on your way.  It really is a "modified" no sparge so to speak (kind of like a single batch). 

Next time I would increase the water to grain ratio to about 1.25 to get a more uniform temp reading.  This beer was medaling at 5 mos and really peaked around 8.  The only comments judges could give me to improve was to increase the malt profile, so maybe bump up the crystals a bit and/or add some 90L crystal to mix it up.  Be sure to adjust your mash temp if you do so. 

Denny, this beer would pair well with your harvested shrooms.  Now you got me wanting to brew this one again too!