Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first time using brett.  (Read 4004 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
first time using brett.
« on: May 02, 2010, 06:38:20 am »
 I brewed a saison on March 2nd. The OG was 1.067 and it fermented down to 1.014 by the 30th. On a whim I pitched the dregs from an Orval when I racked to the secondary. Didn't see much happening so I pitched some more dregs on April 15.
   It developed a oily sheen and now it's starting to develop some white foam around the edges of the carboy.
The SG is down to 1.012.
   Just wondering what now? How long should I or can I leave it in the carboy? I only have 2 kegs so I don't want to dedicate one for long term conditioning.   

Dan S. from NJ

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: first time using brett.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 08:29:01 am »
I would leave it at least a month in the carboy, then taste it to see if it's brett enough for you.  It will continue to develop for months but it may have enough brett taste for you within a month since it's obviously fermenting well.
Orvalled saison is one of my favorite beers, in fact it's always served from the tap on the left in my kegerator.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:36:27 am »
I would leave it at least a month in the carboy, then taste it to see if it's brett enough for you.  It will continue to develop for months but it may have enough brett taste for you within a month since it's obviously fermenting well.
Orvalled saison is one of my favorite beers, in fact it's always served from the tap on the left in my kegerator.
good advice +1. Just sayin that my orvalled saison was really good and I was suprised at how quickly it got the brett
character. That orval strain is a fast colonizer.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:23 am »
It always difficult to use some thing new.  Brett is one of them that create lots of problem.
Not sure what problems you speak about.  There are however, a new set of rules for brett fermentations.
That said, watch your sanitization very very diligently or you could contaminate your non brett stuff.....

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:57:56 am »

That said, watch your sanitization very very diligently or you could contaminate your non brett stuff.....

This was something I was wondering about with Brett.  What sanitizing procedures are people using to make sure that this doesn't happen.  I assume we're talking about something more thorough than a good soaking in starsan, right?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:10:10 am »
Well I don't like to talk online about this but I will send you a pm if you are interested. Let me know

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:19:21 am »
Well I don't like to talk online about this but I will send you a pm if you are interested. Let me know

Why is that?  We are all here to share knowledge openly are we not?  I am interested as well.

I know some people pitch dregs at bottling time.  I presume you have to be at a fairly high degree of attenuation to do that otherwise you will be making grenades.  How low should you go?
Dave Brush