Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition Cheating  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Fade1800

• 1st Kit
Competition Cheating
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:53:28 pm »
If I have evidence of cheating in an AHA/BJCP sanctioned event, I was wondering what recourse is available for lodging a grievance? I'd appreciate any help that can be provided as to what the protocol is for such an issue. Thanks in advance.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Competition Cheating
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:56:37 pm »
Don't tease. What was the offense? What was the result? How'd you figure it out?

Offline Fade1800

• 1st Kit
Re: Competition Cheating
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:02:17 pm »
I can't reveal the details yet. I'm giving the offending party 24 hours to come clean about what he did before taking this further. After that, I will be stepping it up a notch, which may include going public. I am hoping that the AHA has an official grievance policy I can follow, as I'd like to execute this responsibly.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:05:28 pm »
I can't reveal the details yet. I'm giving the offending party 24 hours to come clean about what he did before taking this further. After that, I will be stepping it up a notch, which may include going public. I am hoping that the AHA has an official grievance policy I can follow, as I'd like to execute this responsibly.

Unless it's NHC, the AHA doesn't really sanction events. If it's something other than NHC, take it to the BJCP.  If it's NHC, contact Janis Gross at the AHA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Fade1800

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:15:44 pm »

Unless it's NHC, the AHA doesn't really sanction events. If it's something other than NHC, take it to the BJCP.  If it's NHC, contact Janis Gross at the AHA.

Thanks. I have emailed the BJCP as well to see if I can get some direction.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:50:04 pm »
BJCP will likely tell you to contact the competition organizer directly. Unless it's a problem with the entire competition that is.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:09:05 pm »
Wouldn't most if not all cheating revolve around people bottling commercial beer as their own?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 01:12:49 pm »

Wouldn't most if not all cheating revolve around people bottling commercial beer as their own?
Or knowing which entry belongs to which brewer. Maybe entering more beers than allowed for a category?

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:17:25 pm »
It's really a competition based issue.  I would contact the actual competition coordinators and work from there.  Unless the cheating was done by a BJCP judge in the course of judging... Then maybe the BJCP.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »

[derail NOT intended]

Topic for another day.... I have always wondered how commercial beers would score against homebrews, side by side in a real contest.  I have NOT -- I repeat -- NOT done this in a real sanctioned comp.  But I do always wonder.  Matter of fact, when we do our own informal blind tastings in our local homebrew club, as organizer I always throw in a good well known commercial example to see how our homebrews stack up against the commercial beer.  Results?  After doing this about 4 or 5 times over the years, the commercial beer has never taken first place.  It's often in the top 3 or 4, but never the best example.  Conclusion: Some homebrewers are making some pretty darn good beer.

Disclaimer: Do NOT try this in a real sanctioned competition.  Just do it for fun, with your friends.

[but I digress... sorry...  /derail]
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »
Another kind of cheating would involve "home team" biases, where the host club tries to get a leg up on the competing clubs in a rivalry by losing an entry here and there.
Mostly, though, I would think cheating involves knowing which beers belong to which brewer.  This is the reason for anonymity in bottle shape and size and blacking out marks on the caps.
I suppose a dishonest steward could influence the outcome, but I've never seen that.  Actually I've seen people request to be stewards on flights they have an entry.  This should be discouraged unless that person is beyond reproach.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 05:01:49 pm »
I could see motivation to cheat if winning meant you could pay off your house with the award money, but in most cases it amounts to a trophy you could buy for less money than shipping the beer costs. Don't cheat, just buy a medal and lie to your buddies.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 05:12:52 pm »
I agree Jim. Assuming it's true, I think it's lame. Enter the comp, if you got a 25 who gives a damn? Read the feedback and brew it better next time. Beats being a fraud.
Jon H.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 08:27:20 pm »
Not long ago I judged a California Common that was in an Anchor Steam bottle that tasted remarkably similar to Anchor Steam.  The cap was different but that would easily be changed.  Wasn't sure what to do.  It wasn't a big competition (~80 total beers/meads)  but the prizes were significant ($75).  I gave the brewer the benefit of the doubt and it took first (I did note on the scoresheet that it tasted just like Anchor) .  The same brewer ended up winning/placing in some other categories as well.  Haven't seen his name on any of the other competitions.

I still wonder about if I did the right thing, but it was the best beer.

What would you have done?

Mac

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 08:35:04 pm »
Best defense in these cases is a good offense.  Get to know brewers; even, or especially those we don't know or recognize.  It will only help the hobby grow for new brewers and will root out those rarities that are trying to take advantage.