Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: do you use dry yeast  (Read 8381 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: do you use dry yeast
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 09:12:23 am »
I usually brew 1.7-gallon batches these days.  I use a proportional amount of yeast.  5 gallons requires a full pack of dry yeast for ales, or maybe 2 packs for a lager, right?  So for a 1/3 size batch, I use 1/3 pack for ales or maybe for a lager I'd use one full pack.  Dry yeast lasts for years and years and years.  I've used opened packs that have been in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 years without any trouble at all.  I just fold over the corner and tape it shut.  People who haven't tasted my beer will always whine about my practices but in my experience it works awesome.  Super cheap 'n' easy.  Try it for yourself and you'll see for yourself.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 09:21:59 am »
I started using liquid yeast exclusively beginning in the mid 1980s, however with the vastly improved quality of dry yeast in recent years I now keep a few packets on hand for emergencies.  I still definitely prefer wet yeast (especially since my main one is an unidentified and now 'well trained" strain that I've kept alive for more than 25 years), but the brews I've made using S-04 and especially Bry 97 have turned out great.  I expect that I'll be doing a lot more experimentation with those, and other dry strains as they come available.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline seefish

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:19 am »
I really like US-05 and S-04 and will use them anytime a recipe calls for the liquid equivalents.  It just seems easier to me and I think they have similar profiles.  I did just try T-58 and wasn't really happy with it...it is possible I underpitched but the fermentation seemed really herky jerky.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 09:27:43 am »
i think the best way to make your decision is split a batch or do two batches -one with dry and one liquid and try to objectively evaluate any differences. 
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 09:38:50 am »
The only reason I don't split more batches is because my batches are already so small and it would get very expensive buying that much yeast for small batches.  Otherwise, yeah, splitting batches to try different yeasts is always a wonderful experiment.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Multifaceted

• Cellarman
  • Jerk of All Trades
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 09:42:12 am »
Like others, for short notice or more commonly - if I don't have the suitable liquid on hand, then I'll use dry yeast.

I typically harvest liquid yeast cultures from starters and keep them in the fridge to use for future starters.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 09:42:31 am »
I keep 05 on hand for emergencies.  I used to use it pretty regularly, but started detecting some things from it I didn't care for.  I'd use S-189 and 34/70 more often if they were readily available, but I order stuff so seldom that I never have those on hand.  Don't care much for 04 or Notty.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 09:44:17 am »
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I do have a question for Eric & Dave.  I know you two do small batches.  Do you use the whole packet or just part and how do you split it up?
I'm brewing 3-gallon batches mainly. For that batch size I'll generally just pitch 1 full packet. Since these are typically clean American ale styles, I'm not as worried about potentially suppressing ester formation by overpitching a bit. It's also for practicality purposes. I don't know how long a half-empty packet of US-05 is going to be sitting in my fridge before i get a chance to pitch the rest. I don't really feel comfortable pitching it months later after it's been opened.

When I brew 1-gallon test batches, I usually brew several in the course of 1 brew session. I'll generally pitch 2-3 grams of US-05 per 1-gallon batch in that case.
I usually brew 1.7-gallon batches these days.  I use a proportional amount of yeast.  5 gallons requires a full pack of dry yeast for ales, or maybe 2 packs for a lager, right?  So for a 1/3 size batch, I use 1/3 pack for ales or maybe for a lager I'd use one full pack.  Dry yeast lasts for years and years and years.  I've used opened packs that have been in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 years without any trouble at all.  I just fold over the corner and tape it shut.  People who haven't tasted my beer will always whine about my practices but in my experience it works awesome.  Super cheap 'n' easy.  Try it for yourself and you'll see for yourself.

Very interesting.  And out of curiosity, do either of you rehydrate or just pitch dry?

For myself, I'm making 2.75 gal batches.  It's easier and cheaper to use dry so I've been using US-05, S-04 and Nottingham.  I have also used S-33 on a few occasions but it doesn't compact on the bottom of the bottles very well.  If any gets into my glass, I will get a headache, plus it tastes horrible.  After reading the recent thread on Windsor, I plan on giving that one a try on my next batch.  I almost always rehydrate and then use about half of the yeast mixture.  Seems to work out pretty well.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:03 am »
I also frequently use dry yeast for my small batches. It's pretty easy to use part of the packet of yeast, tape the packet shut and finish using it later.

No rehydration on my part but I am probably overpitching with the amount of dry yeast I use. I usually hang on to the slurry so I am getting good value but not dealing with lag problems from not rehydrating.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 10:44:03 am »
I don't rehydrate.  Lag times usually aren't much more than 12 hours with dry yeast, so why bother.

(I have not used BRY-97 yet, but when I do I'll pitch an entire pack for 1.7 gallons, since it's a known stinker when it comes to lag time.)
Dave

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 11:11:17 am »
i prefer liquid yeast, but I wind up using US-05 about as frequently as I do 001/1056.  I do find that US-05 leaves the malt body a little thinner than the 001, even at the same attenuation. 

But sometimes it is what it is - such as this weekend when i am brewing twice - an ESB and an IPA - i didn't plan well enough in advance with my stir plate, so the 007 got on the schedule for the plate and US-05 will be used for the IPA. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 11:15:29 am »
Very interesting.  And out of curiosity, do either of you rehydrate or just pitch dry?
After doing trying it both ways, I decided to stick with sprinkling my dry yeast. Since then, I have only ever rehydrated on a lager that was at the upper limit of where I'd be comfortable using 1 pack.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 01:28:08 pm »
http://brulosophy.com/2014/09/15/sprinkled-vs-rehydrated-dry-yeast-exbeeriment-results/

Unfortunately, it's one of those articles that Brew Your Own does not have online, but in the December, 2011 issue is an article by James Spenser and Chris Colby titled, "Should You Rehydrate Dried Yeast?"  Long story short, it's up to you.  With 10 participants taking part in the experiment, it was 6 to 4 for rehydration.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 01:30:37 pm »
I use whatever yeast will give the profile I am looking for.  Oftentimes dry yeast is good for this.  I think the quality of dry yeast is good and the viability is much better than that of liquid yeast.  The selection is somewhat limited though.  I mean all my meads get dry yeast as I don't enjoy the few liquid strains I have tried.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"