Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: do you use dry yeast  (Read 8452 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: do you use dry yeast
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2014, 04:41:31 am »
I haven't made a starter with US-05, but I do rehydrate it for pitching.  I have noticed a shorter lag time when doing this (pitching in the low 60's F or lower).  I then allow a free rise to mid 60's for fermentation (using a thermowell and digital heating to stay at 66F or so).  Even so, with this yeast on some very clean ales, like a cream ale, I can detect some clove that is mildly distracting.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2014, 06:31:43 am »
BRY 97 is a totally different animal than US-05.  US-05 is BRY 96.   BRY 97 is notorious for long lag times in dry form.  A friend who uses Wyeast 1272 on a regular basis said that he always doubles his pitch rate when starting from a smack-pack in order to avoid longer than normal lag times.  Wyeast 1272 is BRY 97.   When pitched as fresh slurry, BRY 97 appears to behave like any other ale yeast strain with respect to lag time.   This strain also wants to be used at a higher than normal fermentation temperature.  A batch that was pitched in the low sixties took almost 72 hours to start.  A batch that was pitched at 68F with yeast from the same lot took less than half as long to start.  Starting at 68F instead of 60F does not appear to affect the ester profile as much as it does with other ale strains.  Anchor pitches a ton of yeast when using this strain.  They also ferment in open fermentation vessels at 21C/70F. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2014, 06:41:54 am »
If one is interested in information on the P. Ballantine and Sons Brewery, this is a rabbit hole to fall down.
It also has Schalk and Feigenspan information.
https://sites.google.com/site/pballantineandsons/home
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline macphergus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 01:56:09 pm »
I primarily use dry now, my experience is all good.  Mostly S4 and US05, I always pre-hydrate and I use two packs.  I also have good results with White Labs liquids (my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast) but the drys are so much easier with the same quality.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
If one is interested in information on the P. Ballantine and Sons Brewery, this is a rabbit hole to fall down.
It also has Schalk and Feigenspan information.
https://sites.google.com/site/pballantineandsons/home
Great Link, thanks Jeff. When I have more time (not at work) I think I will enjoy reading as much of this as I can
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)