Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: trub or no trub-brulosophy  (Read 4456 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: trub or no trub-brulosophy
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 06:19:24 am »
i almost stopped reading when I got to the pictures of his kids because I thought it was over and I as onto the next blog post.

I liked the article. I have to admit I leave most of the trub behind in the kettle but don't stress when some get's into the fermentor. Interesting that the "truby" was clearer, but I wonder if this experiment would replicate itself over and over again or was it coincidental that the truby was clearer (pH difference, yeast health difference, kettle break difference, etc.)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 07:00:04 am »
Enjoyed the read; love the pictures of the story.

Glad to hear my trashy home techniques are OK.  All my beers are Truby.  :P

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 07:16:30 am »
Yeah, I'd like to see the trub/no trub experiment repeated a few times. I've tried both over the years and never felt that the beers with all the trub poured into the fermenter were any cloudier (or of lower quality).
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 07:30:16 am »
This will have an impact on choosing a method for re-pitching, won't it? I use the nylon hop bags (not really worried about trub without hop particulate) during the boil, so I can remove my false bottom from the boil kettle and see what happens when I don't strain any break out.  Maybe a Helles will be a good one to judge by, especially if I also combine this with the temperature step approach advocated in another thread for quicker lager beer.

do you mean harvesting trub free slurry? So as seen in the stratification pics, i might be inclined to just skim the top layer off and use that for repitch, leaving most of the hop and break trub behind...but perhaps it doesn't matter???
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 07:55:25 am »
Good call on the measurement, who did it, a local brewery with lab? I've been confused with the BeerSmith calculations for hopstand vs flameout.

Coastal Labs offers some pretty cheap/reasonable testing. http://coastalsciencelabs.com/brewing-and-winemaking-services.html
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 10:10:12 am »
I've been on both extremes for trub removal. In the beginning I was very anal about looking for all sorts of ways to keep the trub out of the fermentor. Later, I got a little lazy and just dumped everything out of the kettle. I'm pretty middle of the road, now. I siphon off the side of the kettle to minimize trub, but don't lose any sleep at all when some trub makes it's way through. I hadn't made the clarity correlation as I didn't make any side by side comparisons, so that was good info...
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 11:34:56 am »
I should pay more attention. I effectively do a side by side experiment everytime I brew a 10 gallon batch. I run off into two buckets after whirlpooling. the first bucket gets very clean wort with only a small shot of trub at the begining. The second bucket often gets a big shot of trub at the end as I'm trying to hit my volumes. I'll try to pay attention the next few times.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 11:44:27 am »
This will have an impact on choosing a method for re-pitching, won't it? I use the nylon hop bags (not really worried about trub without hop particulate) during the boil, so I can remove my false bottom from the boil kettle and see what happens when I don't strain any break out.  Maybe a Helles will be a good one to judge by, especially if I also combine this with the temperature step approach advocated in another thread for quicker lager beer.

do you mean harvesting trub free slurry? So as seen in the stratification pics, i might be inclined to just skim the top layer off and use that for repitch, leaving most of the hop and break trub behind...but perhaps it doesn't matter???

Yes, trub level in the slurry as a concern on re-pitch, but also, if the hop particulate is the source of the "bite" mentioned as the taste difference, you wouldn't want that to carry forward, either.  Like you said- maybe it doesn't matter?l
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 04:38:02 pm »
Basic Brewing and BYO did a group experiment a couple of years ago on this topic. According to them, additional trub helps fermentation vigor and quality, or at least didn't hurt. The difference between the two was generally detectable both in terms of clarity and flavor, but preferences were about evenly split as to which was better. The "trubier" beers may have been a bit hoppier, but also a bit more harsh.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/bbr02-23-12trubres.mp3

Unfortunately I can't find anything that was written up in BYO as a result. The MP3 - about an hour - is still worth listening to if you've got some time.
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 06:03:29 pm »
For the record, for years I brewed 10 (closer to 12) gal. batches and settled most of the trub out in the kettle. Ran the first half of mostly trub free into a carboy and the second ran it "worry free" chock full of trub and hops. The first I chose my next gen of yeast from since it was cleaner. Never ocne did I ever notice a major difference in the beers that i would have dialed in as "trub" related.