Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Critique my IPA recipe  (Read 3315 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Critique my IPA recipe
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:48:32 pm »
Hello friends, I'm going to brew a recipe that I've made several times and really enjoy, but I have changed it a little bit to include hopstand/whirlpool hopping since I just got a new whirlpool set up on my chiller.  I would love some suggestions or opinions.  Specifically, I don't know the amounts that people usually whirlpool with, also I don't know if the flameout hops are necessary since I will be cooling quickly to 175 and then dumping in a bunch more hops?  Also, the flameout hops and the whirlpool hops do not contribute to the IBU totals given below.  Thanks

Batch Size: 5.85 gal   
Style: American IPA (14B)
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Color: 6.2 SRM   
Bitterness: 65.8 IBUs   
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.065
Est FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.9%   
Mash 60 @ 152

12 lbs 8.0 oz   Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz   Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
5.0 oz   Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.8 oz   Chinook [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz   Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min   
0.5 oz   Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00     Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.5 oz   Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 7 min
0.5 oz   Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 7 min   
0.5 oz   Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz   Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz   Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min   
At flameout, cool quickly to 175 and then whirlpool hop for 30 minutes:
2.5 oz   Centennial - whirlpool hop for 30 min
1.0 oz   Chinook - whirlpool hop for 30 min
0.5 oz   Columbus - whirlpool hop for 30 min
Starter   American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
2.0 oz   Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop
1.0 oz   Chinook [13.0%] - Dry Hop
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Critique my IPA recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:19:30 am »
I sure don't see anything wrong with it.  I like your grain bill and your hop combo.

*If it were me* I would add 2 more ounces to the dry hop.  I typically use one ounce per gallon - and I don't in any way think that is too much, but one has to stop somewhere.  I'm also not convinced of the value of spreading out hop additions.  I've gone to three: a 60 minute addition for all the bittering, a whirlpool addition for flavor and aroma, and dry hopping for aroma and flavor.  My thinking is that one only gets 2 things from hops: alpha acids and oils.  The best way to get the AA is with a 60 minute addition.  The best way to get oils is at ~175* and below because oils boil off at very low temperatures compared to water/wort.

But that is me.  What you have described above is not wrong.  I just do it differently for the reasons stated.  As so many say here regularly, try it both ways to see which works best for you!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:30:47 am »
You're becoming quite the hop guy steve. Thats a good thing. I'll have to try your method once I get through lager season. Maybe a real simple IPA grain bill with a neutral 60 min of about 30% of the total ibus. Then the rest at 175. How long do you suggest that rest? 15 min? 30?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 05:45:54 am »
I sure don't see anything wrong with it.  I like your grain bill and your hop combo.

*If it were me* I would add 2 more ounces to the dry hop.  I typically use one ounce per gallon - and I don't in any way think that is too much, but one has to stop somewhere.  I'm also not convinced of the value of spreading out hop additions.  I've gone to three: a 60 minute addition for all the bittering, a whirlpool addition for flavor and aroma, and dry hopping for aroma and flavor.  My thinking is that one only gets 2 things from hops: alpha acids and oils.  The best way to get the AA is with a 60 minute addition.  The best way to get oils is at ~175* and below because oils boil off at very low temperatures compared to water/wort.

But that is me.  What you have described above is not wrong.  I just do it differently for the reasons stated.  As so many say here regularly, try it both ways to see which works best for you!

I agree with you Steve. I'm liking 60 min + stand + dry right now really well. And I like 1oz/gallon (sometimes a little more) dry hops as well for IPA. But there are several valid hopping methods out there, and that's where the fun comes in for me. There are a lot of combinations of time/temp/variety/amount/stand temp to play with !
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:47:11 am »
You're becoming quite the hop guy steve. Thats a good thing. I'll have to try your method once I get through lager season. Maybe a real simple IPA grain bill with a neutral 60 min of about 30% of the total ibus. Then the rest at 175. How long do you suggest that rest? 15 min? 30?

FWIW, I give IPA 30-40 minutes @ 170F, Jim.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 06:37:43 am »
Cool. I'll give it a go when the time comes

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:05:51 am »
I think that recipe looks great!   8)

I might add a chunk of Columbus at dry hop as well, but that is just personal preference.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:37:39 am »
I like it. I would go with what you have. You are going to have a really good brew. You said that you've brewed it before (without the whirlpool), so I'm assuming that you've used this dry hop schedule before. I personally use 4-5 oz as a dry hop. You'll find that you'll get more aroma with your whirlpool. My suggestion is brew this recipe and tweak it from there to your liking.
Frank

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:46 am »

I love hops. 
If I read your question correctly you are asking about the IBU contribution of a whirlpool addition.  My assumption is that at ~175* there isn't much isomerization going on.  So I go for all of my IBU's in my 60 minute addition.  Beersmith however calculates that my whirlpool additions of 3 oz. each of Amarillo and Cascade will add about 50 IBU.  I think the software assumes a higher temperature.

But I've got to say, I'm not cautious at all in this regard when dealing with AIPA's.  The one I am brewing tomorrow is calculated to have 136 IBU.  This is typical, and I have yet to have one I thought was too bitter.  But I watch my pH and use a quality bittering hop (usually CTZ).
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 11:11:06 am »

I love hops. 
If I read your question correctly you are asking about the IBU contribution of a whirlpool addition.  My assumption is that at ~175* there isn't much isomerization going on.  So I go for all of my IBU's in my 60 minute addition.  Beersmith however calculates that my whirlpool additions of 3 oz. each of Amarillo and Cascade will add about 50 IBU.  I think the software assumes a higher temperature.

But I've got to say, I'm not cautious at all in this regard when dealing with AIPA's.  The one I am brewing tomorrow is calculated to have 136 IBU.  This is typical, and I have yet to have one I thought was too bitter.  But I watch my pH and use a quality bittering hop (usually CTZ).
+1 to all of this. Even if you get a little bit of isomerization from your hop stand, it's generally a much smoother bitterness than you get from boil additions. My hopstand-only IPA (I held the hopstand hot instead of dropping the temp first) measured 98 IBU's in a lab, but tasted closer to 60 and wasn't rough or harsh in any way.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 02:56:48 pm »
Thanks all,  I will give it a whirl this weekend. I didn't know the amounts that most people use in their whirlpool but I will give this recipe a try and titrate it depending on how it tastes.
Cheers
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 06:43:06 pm »
I will give it a whirl
I'm sure a pun wasn't intended here
Frank

Offline aokeovn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 08:51:06 pm »
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:26:09 pm by aokeovn »

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:47 pm »
It was

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 11:00:34 pm »
So I brewed above recipe yesterday and all went well ( aside from my brew shop giving me 7 oz less 2row than I ordered), and it is bubbling away vigorously.  I have to say, the CO2 coming out smells like a ton of fresh hops.  None of my other IPAs have done this to this extent.   Can't wait to taste it in about a month.  Hope it doesn't taste like hop tea.