Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Forum  (Read 1981 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
AHA Forum
« on: December 09, 2014, 05:52:22 pm »
So I'll start by saying that this forum continues to be a diamond in the rough as far as guidance, opinions, and advice go. Compared to other forums I've visited the difference is night and day regarding snarky people and people who don't know what they talking about.

Anywho....my question is has this forum always been a real small group, or is it just really well moderated? I noticed on the home brewing sub-reddit there are over 100K members! I almost told someone about this forum the other day then I didn't out of fear that the hoard will follow  :o

Ramblings are over....

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: AHA Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:21:55 pm »
Its the people. The active posters are real and its not difficult to figure out who they are. Some are published authorities on the subject. Many attend brewing functions like NHC or judging regionally, etc making it kind of foolish to be a douche when you might likely meet face to face. On the other hand if you do mess up you can just say sorry and get over it without ongoing ridicule. Another thing is maturity. Most of the active posters dont behave like 8th graders. I strive to behave at least like a 9th grader.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:24:21 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »
Its the people. The active posters are real and its not difficult to figure out who they are. Some are published authorities on the subject. Many attend brewing functions like NHC or judging regionally, etc making it kind of foolish to be a douche when you might likely meet face to face. On the other hand if you do mess up you can just say sorry and get over it without ongoing ridicule. Another thing is maturity. Most of the active posters dont behave like 8th graders. I strive to behave at least like a 9th grader.

All of what Jim said, plus a really great group of moderators who know how to explain the rules to people in a manner that makes everyone feel like friends, and a membership who appreciates a friendly environment free of drama.

Inn the "old days" of the AHA, there was no forum.  When I was elected to the Governing Committee 9 years ago, I started agitating to get one set up.  So they said, "go ahead"!  I had a pretty clear idea of the kind of place I wanted to hang out and I'm glad to find that there are so many others who feel the same way.

Please, invite whoever you want.  Hopefully, they'll be attracted the the helpful, friendly, informative atmosphere here and contribute right along with everyone else.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:38:34 pm »
Bingo! It helps having moderators (supervisors) who have some people skills and a good grasp that its just beer, not marine corps bootcamp.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 11:52:25 pm »
I think another thing that helps about the moderation - the forum is the AHA's - the moderators are volunteers. They don't own the forum and therefore avoid the dreaded "You've violated this thing that is mine - I shall now smack you silly with the ban hammer because I am offended"

etc, etc.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:03:57 am »
When the AHA first launched we did have some problems with some folks from other boards who came over and stirred the pot. Thankfully most people here now are just here to learn and share knowledge, not troll an Internet forum. It's a pretty easy place to moderate now, and I hope it stays that way because it took up a lot of personal time when the troublemakers were here.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 06:05:42 am »
Bingo! It helps having moderators (supervisors) who have some people skills and a good grasp that its just beer, not marine corps bootcamp.

I agree. The overall vibe of the forum is positive. The moderators do a great job. It actually is about camaraderie and sharing of great info, with a lot less 'ahole-ishness' and hyper competitive bickering (like I've witnessed on other forums). Truth be told, there are some basic things you have to do right but many facets of brewing can be done in different ways. It's great to see brewers talk about different approaches that I might never have thought of.
Jon H.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:13:15 am »
 Huh, I was thinking...you mean this place takes moderation? 
All I could remember was the Majorvices locking or moving a few threads...

I think I even missed your annual rant on trashy hunters.  ;D
Thanks AHA.  8)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 06:23:21 am »
I think another thing that helps about the moderation - the forum is the AHA's - the moderators are volunteers. They don't own the forum and therefore avoid the dreaded "You've violated this thing that is mine - I shall now smack you silly with the ban hammer because I am offended"

etc, etc.

Cool...so we can talk smack about MIT then?

The moderators do an awesome job.  In the 5 years I've been on the forum, I can remember only 1 time someone got banned.  Unlike some other forums (that I no longer frequent) that would lock a thread because someone's wife got offended by a beer label.  I won't say who, but they were not advocating for beer very well ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 07:59:38 am »
All I could remember was the Majorvices locking or moving a few threads...

And when you do a search for a "fermentation" topic you can look in "yeast and fermentation"  and find it instead of "all-grain". You're welcome. ;)

For the record a thread rarely gets locked without all the moderators consensus.

I think I even missed your annual rant on trashy hunters.  ;D

Oh Lord, don't get me started.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:01:47 am by majorvices »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:32:22 am »
It was interesting when another board decided to remove the "Brewhaha" section and a bunch of very unhappy people showed up here.  Most of them left after not too long because this board is too civil.  8^) 

Personally I came over here and stayed because it was tiring to have every other thread a rant about why did Brewhaha get killed.  For the record, it needed to die.

Great folks, great info and we still get a good joke or Pub conversation going now and then.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 09:40:14 am »
The AHA Forum definitely benefits from a having a mature membership.   It also benefits from having leading posters who embody the concept of setting an example worthy of emulation.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 09:43:30 pm »

Exactly.  I think being a moderator on this forum would be an easy job.  Even when things get argumentative it rarely gets personal.  Or maybe the moderators do such a good job I don't notice the bad stuff.  Regardless,  the AHA forum has been one of the best resources for helping me brew great beer.  Thanks to everyone here.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 07:09:56 am »
its great to have spirited debate her without the BS. and more often than not, the people here are willing to impart knowledge without the old"its my way or the highway" mentality.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: