Author Topic: A little quicker carbonation  (Read 758 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
A little quicker carbonation
« on: December 13, 2014, 03:07:05 AM »
I was rushed getting a Pale Ale ready for my daughter & son-in-law's business holiday party.  I kegged it Wednesday at 9:30 PM.

I hooked the CO2 to the beverage out post and pressurized the keg.  It didn't seal as quickly as when I use the CO2 in post - lots of bubbling - but it did seal when I ramped the pressure up to about 15 psi.  I began cold conditioning it at that time at 32* and 10 psi.

I tapped the keg today at 3:00 PM, so 42 hours later.  It was sufficiently carbonated.  Actually I'd say it was very close to where it should be - close enough that I don't think anyone will notice. 

My conclusion is that it did carb up more quickly than the usual gas-in post method. 

Also, I didn't want to do the roll-it-around method because I wanted to precipitate out the hop particles as much as possible in the same time frame.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:11:14 AM by yso191 »
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
Re: A little quicker carbonation
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:32:48 AM »
I like it. I'm anti shake and roll myself.

My last two kegs were lagered for a couple weeks waiting their turn for the tap. I've recently been teed off by a tiny leak that drained my carbonating bottle. So this time after racking to the kegs I hit them each with 30psi once a day for 5 days. On day five I noticed it didn't take long for the pressure to equalize so I didn't do it day 6 and on. When I tapped them they were spot on. I'll be doing that method from now on. Its a great way to discover a leak other than finding an empty bottle

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
Interesting...any ideas as to why it carbed faster....because the gas entered the vessel via the diptube? 

Pretty cool dad that brings a keg to the holiday party! 8)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »
The reason I tried it is that I thought that the CO2 bubbling up through all of the beer would cause it to be absorbed faster.  It presents a greater surface area essentially.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 05:34:22 PM »
I've used that method before and it does indeed carb faster since you force the CO2 to bubble up through the beer.  However, if you ever get a sticky keg poppet, and they all seem to stick eventually, it gets really interesting when you disconnect the CO2!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:12:34 AM »
Yup. Have the tap line ready to snap on.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • View Profile
    • Black Sands
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:30:22 AM »
The reason I tried it is that I thought that the CO2 bubbling up through all of the beer would cause it to be absorbed faster.  It presents a greater surface area essentially.

yep spot on. i've done this before and it works. its like a mini bright tank w/ a carb stone since the co2 is passing through the beer instead of just pushing down w/ head pressure.

I have seen some people clamping a small tube to the in post of their keg (make sure the in post is metal and not plastic) and put a carb stone on the other end that hangs down about 1/2 into the beer and carb it that way. works wonders but requires more tools and cleaning etc... but can carb your beer in 24-48 hours if its around 34 or 35 F w/ a submersed carb stone.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com