Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aerating Question  (Read 3223 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Aerating Question
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:55 am »
Immersion chiller goes in the kettle 10-15 minutes before end of boil.  At flameout I put the lid on over the IC and cover any gaps with foil or a towel soaked in Starsan while the IC is running.  I will occasionally lift the lid to stir with the IC, but I don't leave it uncovered, even though it would cool much faster.  After cooling I drain to fermenter and aerate with oxygen immediatley prior to pitching yeast.  Now that I have pumps, I can recirculate my wort with a pump while cooling, which should really speed things up.  Will find out Saturday.   

If it's any comfort to you, my procedure is much less rigorous and in 471 batches it's never caused a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 10:02:58 am »
Immersion chiller goes in the kettle 10-15 minutes before end of boil.  At flameout I put the lid on over the IC and cover any gaps with foil or a towel soaked in Starsan while the IC is running.  I will occasionally lift the lid to stir with the IC, but I don't leave it uncovered, even though it would cool much faster.  After cooling I drain to fermenter and aerate with oxygen immediatley prior to pitching yeast.  Now that I have pumps, I can recirculate my wort with a pump while cooling, which should really speed things up.  Will find out Saturday.   

If it's any comfort to you, my procedure is much less rigorous and in 471 batches it's never caused a problem.
What part seems rigorous?  I didn't know it got much easier than sitting an immersion chiller in the kettle, but I'm open to ideas!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:46 am »
What part seems rigorous?  I didn't know it got much easier than sitting an immersion chiller in the kettle, but I'm open to ideas!
[/quote

The whole seal the kettle, closed xfer thing.  Certainly nothing wrong with it, but it also could be simplified.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:04 am »

The whole seal the kettle, closed xfer thing.  Certainly nothing wrong with it, but it also could be simplified.

It started when I used to brew outside and a big fat fly flew into my kettle while cooling.  Batch after that a mosquito took a dive bomb into my chilled wort.  That was enough for me to drape some towels over the kettle and keep a lid on.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:32 am »
Call me paranoid.  I don't uncover my beer to stir.  Once I hit "flameout" I play defense.  Beer is exposed to sanitized surfaces/air only as much as possible.  There is a small opening in my fermenter for my O2 line and stone, which gets covered with foil.
When do you cover the wort after boiling?
I recirculate with a pump and the Jamil Z return arm, with cool tap water in the winter 10 gallons of wort cools to 65F in 14.5 minutes with a 50 ft. 1/2 inch immersion chiller. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!