Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: underattenuated  (Read 1138 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
underattenuated
« on: December 11, 2014, 05:28:32 pm »
I feel like making a big lager is one of the hardest things.  Brewed a bock from Brewing Classic Styles, pitched lots of healthy yeast, got off to a good start, and I checked my gravity today hoping to see 1.018.  Instead I saw 1.04.  It has been going  about 1.5 weeks at 49-50degrees.  It's bubbling pretty slowy.  Still a lot of gunk on top.  WOUld you all increase temp to activate the yeast?  Add oxygen?  Need some serious help!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: underattenuated
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:06:14 pm »
Sounds normal to me, let er ride. If you want to you could start a slow walk up to a D rest. I'd give it a few more days though.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:26:31 pm »
I agree with Jim. Give it some time dont rush it.  You could bump up the temp a few degrees. 52 ish

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:40:20 pm »
You can start raising the temp after 72 hours, basically 2 degrees a day until you get to 58. I know you say you pitched enough yeast and I don't mean to sound like second guessing you, but when I make a big lager .... really big, like 1.080 or so, I can have the fermentation wrapped up in 2 weeks. For big lagers, it is best to start with a lower gravity beer and use that slurry. Or use dry yeast - I like S-189. Good luck with this one. Raise that temp up and it should be fine.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:04:31 pm »
I would warm it up. 60F sounds like nice number.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com