Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corking  (Read 1691 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Corking
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:13:00 am »
Has anyone ever tried using swing tops with the swing gizmo removed and instead just corking them and wire caging? What issues did you run into?

I'm about to squeeze the trigger on a new floor corker in a few weeks because I have about 15 gallons of flanders to bottle next month. I have about 6 cases of belgian flip tops that, if I can cork and cage them, would be awesome for that.

If its a no go im just going to have to buy about 6 cases of belgian 750s.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Corking
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:26:09 am »
I would compare the thickness of the lips. Belgian bottles have pretty thick lips to hold the outward pressure from the compressed cork. My guess is it would work, but don't send me hate mail when your 15 gallons of flanders explodes.

The only other problem you should look into is how well do the cages fit over the design of those bottles. It's possible the cages are not long enough to reach the bottom of that ring. Just double check first.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:53:37 am »
I've never seen anybody try a cork on those bottles and I'm not sure whether they would stand up to the pressure of the cork. I'd definitely want to try a test bottle filled with a different beer to see how it holds up to bottle conditioning before dropping in something several months old.

Personally I would just use the swing tops on those bottles.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:17 am »
The tops are different, so does a cage work on a swing top? The swing top neck has holes for the bale mechanism, and those are stress risers and the top might not withstand high pressure.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:33:51 am »
The swing top neck has holes for the bale mechanism, and those are stress risers and the top might not withstand high pressure.

+1.  That was my thought.
Jon H.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:48 am »
You would also need to check the diameter of the hole against the diameter of a typical Belgian corked bottle. It seems like the flip top have a smaller opening.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:36:43 am »
Also, are you talking champagne corks (round top, sticks out of bottle) and the wire caging that fits them? (that's what I'm picturing) A floor corker wouldn't work for them, at least the Portugeuse style I have wouldn't. They would only work for cylindrical wine corks.
Why not just use the flip tops?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:10:20 pm »
Well thanks guys. Those are all thoughts I had. My flip tops were labeled as belgian flip tops and are really thick and heavy. I think what I will end up doing is buying about 6 cases of 750 belgian bottles when I order my floor corker. Then I will just have to try it out on these flippers.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »
Well thanks guys. Those are all thoughts I had. My flip tops were labeled as belgian flip tops and are really thick and heavy. I think what I will end up doing is buying about 6 cases of 750 belgian bottles when I order my floor corker. Then I will just have to try it out on these flippers.

Just buy 6 cases of Cantillon, drink, and refill.

You can thank me for that idea later!

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 09:45:13 pm »
Ya, great idea. Though I'd rather do 6 cases of Logsdon Farmhouse Peche Brett and Cerasus, then I wouldn't even have to rinse them out. Just solara the bottles.