Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer 3 Gallon Keg System  (Read 5850 times)

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Northern Brewer 3 Gallon Keg System
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 10:46:00 am »
I've read that you can find used Co2 tanks locally. Where should I look and how much should I expect to pay for a used 5 lbs tank?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 10:48:31 am »
The place I get mine filled sells them, along with all kinds of kegging equipment, including new kegs.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:53:08 am »

I've read that you can find used Co2 tanks locally. Where should I look and how much should I expect to pay for a used 5 lbs tank?
I bought mine full of co2 at Airgas. They are a national company. My last refill was $9.10. I think the original 5# tank was in the mid fifties.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 07:07:41 am »
I bought an aluminum tank with my original setup.  It looked nice, but the only way to keep the tank was to take it to a fire extinguisher company.  That used to be $15 to $20 to get it refilled.  Air Gas (welding supply company) will exchange empty cylindars with filled ones for about $10.  They are a little beaten up and steel... but I actually like the extra weight.  (The lighter aluminum one would tip over much easier and can ruin the regulator)

Later, after playing with the 5# tank, I upgraded it to a 10# tank.  It lasts WAY longer, and is about the same cost to refill.  (And it is heavier than the 5#, so it is very stable)

I have gone the rout of using AIH for kegs over the past few years,  I have 8 5 gallon used kegs that I like a lot, and recently bought 10 3 gallon used kegs from them.  All were great, just needed some cleaning and they were ready to go. 

I really like the 3 gallon compared to the 5 gallons... Lot easier to move around, and I recover space in my fridge twice as fast.  (A half gone 5 gallon keg...still takes up 5 gallons of space.... 
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 07:28:02 am »
Yyyyyyyup. When I started kegging I bought the whole shebang. Then I go to airgas to get my shiny new bottles filled. They walk off and come back with two hobo looking things. Uh, where's my tanks? Oh, you just exchange them for filled tanks... if you want YOUR tanks you can have them back but we're not filling them. And, how much would 5 pounds be if I didnt have tanks? Hmmm, ya a little less than my shiny new tanks that I never saw again.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 07:38:18 am »
To be fair, they refilled my shiny new one until it needed to be recertified.  Then they swapped it.  I was taken aback at first, but who really cares what the tank looks like?  All I need it for is the gas.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:01 am »
Yeah, I always exchange mine.  No worries about testing that way.

I was always really proud of my shiny scuba tanks, but it seemed that it made me look like a newbie.  One of my friends said he always rolled his new tanks around on the driveway to make them look more used.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 10:05:49 am »

I was always really proud of my shiny scuba tanks, but it seemed that it made me look like a newbie.  One of my friends said he always rolled his new tanks around on the driveway to make them look more used.

Sounds a lot like concert T's. I have shirts that are 4 or 5 years old and I never wear.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:33 am »

Sounds a lot like concert T's. I have shirts that are 4 or 5 years old and I never wear.

I'd like to have the $$ I spent on concert Ts over the years. Probably put me in a Sabco, easily.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:34 am »

I'd like to have the $$ I spent on concert Ts over the years. Probably put me in a Sabco, easily.

Shoot.  I've still got some of those.  I have an old Metallic shirt from the Ride the Lightning tour.  Doesn't fit me, but my wife wears it now and then.  And she looks bad-ass.  That shirt is ancient.

Somewhere, I've got Kink's tour jerseys from the 1980s.  Maybe a Pink Floyd shirt from the late '80s, too.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:04 am »
Correction - I have shirts that are 4-5 years old that I have never even worn. It's just too soon. I have one from 2004 that is still perfectly black. Need to do something about that.

And back to the thread - I am a big advocate of exchanging tanks. Takes only a few minutes, and I will rarely need to deal with a hydro test. The Airgas where I get my exchanges always gives me a tank with same or newer date.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 11:40:03 am »

Shoot.  I've still got some of those.  I have an old Metallic shirt from the Ride the Lightning tour.  Doesn't fit me, but my wife wears it now and then.  And she looks bad-ass.  That shirt is ancient.

Somewhere, I've got Kink's tour jerseys from the 1980s.  Maybe a Pink Floyd shirt from the late '80s, too.

I've still got most of the cool ones, discarded the (in hindsight) not so cool ones  ;)  .   Saw the Ride the Lightning tour myself, in a place with maybe 500 people. Got one from The Clash, Ramones, Replacements, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, many others.  And a drawer full of Grateful Dead shirts. Now there's some variety for you. Lost count of how many great shows I've seen. A few hundred.

Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »
Saw the Replacements several times.  Those shirts were like cheese cloth, though.  I doubt they survived the massive amount of wear they got in high school.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »
Concert shirts are cheaper than buying them online, I think. Most of mine around in the $15-20 range, where as online, you pay $20+ and then shipping. I only buy my band shirts at shows. It's great when someone says, "Hey! Nice shirt!" I can tell them I got it at the show.
You guys are lucky to have seen the Ride the Lightning tour, that rules. I was only about a year old when that album came out and it's probably Metallica's best album, followed closely by Master of Puppets.
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
You guys are lucky to have seen the Ride the Lightning tour, that rules. I was only about a year old when that album came out and it's probably Metallica's best album, followed closely by Master of Puppets.

I must admit.  I stole that shirt from my brother.  But he's not getting it back.