Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recommend a good monthly beer club?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Recommend a good monthly beer club?
« on: December 14, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »
Anyone have a good recommendation (or warning) on a beer of the month club? Looking online I see several but other wanting stay away from those that think Anchor Steam or Sam Adams is something novel.

So far I've looked at www.beermonthclub.com, www.craftbeerclub.com and www.amazingclubs.com/beer. Any others? Any comments on these ones? My boss asked me for a recommendation, but since I only brew my own or spend my hard earned $$$ on beer I've researched directly, I've not got any experience on trusting someone else to send me something good!

Thanks,
Ross

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Recommend a good monthly beer club?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 02:11:27 pm »
I was a member of beermonthclub.com for several years.  I enjoyed it very much.  I liked being able to taste a lot of great beers, many of which are not commonly available in my area.  Plus the little newsletter gives the ingredients to help educate and to even help a homebrewer develop his own recipes.  The only reason I left is the expense... it's cheaper to pick up 6-packs at your local store than to have it shipped to your door.  Also after a couple of years, you may find that you get repeats of things they sent in the past, although that wasn't the reason I left.  Perhaps selection is improved now, I'm not sure.  I was a member about 8 years ago.  I would do it again, were it not for the unnecessary expense.  It's definitely educational and enjoyable and makes a great gift.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:14:38 am »
I'd consider the audience and what he's after. If he's just out to try new beers then one of the clubs that picks up the popular beers around the country might be a good option. If he's a solid beer geek then receiving a different pale ale each month probably won't feel like money well spent.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:31:25 am »
I used to think it would be a fun thing to do.  Seriously looked at Wine-o-the-month clubs too.  The biggest problem in Iowa with these is being in Iowa. 

I don't know how it affects other states but you can pretty much double the advertized price when shipping to Iowa.  State laws make this type of thing prohibitively expensive.

Just something else to check out before you pull the trigger.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:29 am »
I'll kick in a shameless plug here.

This club http://www.noblebrewerbeer.com/ is doing a new and, as far as I know, unique kind of thing. They scale up award winning homebrew recipes, contract brew them, and distribute.

The first two shipments will contain my farmhouse ale recipe.

It's only in California at the moment though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fuzzy2133

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:36:01 am »
My wife signed me up for http://www.beermonthclub.com earlier this year.  It was a nice change only did 2 months; one US micro beer and one Rare Beer (2 - 750mL).  I have looked at re-subscribing to the Rare Beer option multiple times now.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »
I used to think it would be a fun thing to do.  Seriously looked at Wine-o-the-month clubs too.  The biggest problem in Iowa with these is being in Iowa. 

I don't know how it affects other states but you can pretty much double the advertized price when shipping to Iowa.  State laws make this type of thing prohibitively expensive.

Paul

Plus, it is cheaper and you would get a better selection just driving to Iowa City and going to John's Grocery, or taking an extra trip or two to El Baitship ;D

That said - I used to do "beer of the month" club and always liked it and looked forward to the shipment and newsletter that came with.  Did it for about 2 years maybe..... Long time ago though - 15 years I would say.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:14:51 pm by braufessor »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »

I used to do "beer of the month" club and always liked it and looked forward to the shipment and newsletter that came with.  Did it for about 2 years maybe..... Long time ago though - 15 years I would say.

Same here - about that time frame too. I remember being in Michael Jackson's Belgian beer club for a year or so. He attempted to get harder to find Belgians. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 09:49:46 am »

Paul

Plus, it is cheaper and you would get a better selection just driving to Iowa City and going to John's Grocery, or taking an extra trip or two to El Baitship ;D

That said - I used to do "beer of the month" club and always liked it and looked forward to the shipment and newsletter that came with.  Did it for about 2 years maybe..... Long time ago though - 15 years I would say.

Or even "Beer Crazy" in Urbandale.  Great LHBS with every beer that can be distributed in Iowa on the shelf.  Sold by the bottle.  Mix-n'-Match to your heart's content.  And less than 2 miles from my house.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 07:23:47 am »
It is dangerous to sit idle in an auto repair lounge.  I just subscribed to 4 months of the Rare Beer Club from www.beermonthclub.com
Hoping to land some tasty whales!

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:28:41 am »
It is dangerous to sit idle in an auto repair lounge.  I just subscribed to 4 months of the Rare Beer Club from www.beermonthclub.com

oh and they are running valentines day promo- $10 of 3months or more (10VAL)....i wish you wouldn't have posted this link  ;)
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:33:31 am »

oh and they are running valentines day promo- $10 of 3months or more (10VAL)....i wish you wouldn't have posted this link  ;)
I filled out the form then backed out at the last second.  Paced around, drank coffee, watched depressing news stories, then logged back in and quickly finalized before I could change my mind again. 

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:07:16 am »
Funny that shortly after this thread started, my sister ordered me "beer of the month" as an xmas present.... Just got my second shipment a couple days ago.  2 US microbreweries, 2 varieties from each.  So, a total of 12 beers (3 each of 4 beers).  So far, I would say there was one beer I did not care for.  The other 7 ranged from good-very good.  It is always fun to find a box of 12 beers on your doorstep when you get home from work.  Plus, the boxes they are shipped in are great for shipping beer to others or competitions if you do that sort of thing.  I will probably continue after this one expires.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 06:55:31 pm »
Are you looking for a service that sends you something automatically or a place where you can buy kick-ass beers online?

If it's the second, I highly recommend Blackwell's out of San Fran. Fantastic selection, great emails, etc. Especially if you are a poor sap like me in the Southeast who has to dream about west coast beers 11 months out of the year.