Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Mild  (Read 5481 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: American Mild
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:42 am »
Major change: fermented with Danstar Windsor. OG 1043. SG 1018. ABV 3.3%. Mash temp was 152F.

I thought with those numbers I would have a nice full bodied mild.  But actually, the beer tastes very thin/watery.

I am not surprised.  While Windsor doesn't attenuate very well at all, it TASTES like it does and makes for a very watery beer.  Not the thing you'd want in an American mild.

Yeah, WLP002 or maybe WLP004 will get you the low attenuation and fuller body that you want.  And if you ferment really cool around 60 F, both of these will make a relatively clean tasting beer as well.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 11:51:11 am »
I made a second batch of this beer with some changes.

Major change: fermented with Danstar Windsor. OG 1043. SG 1018. ABV 3.3%. Mash temp was 152F.

I thought with those numbers I would have a nice full bodied mild.  But actually, the beer tastes very thin/watery.

I think I will try WLP002 next time.

The other change was using English Chocolate malt. That plus the Windsor yeast give this beer a more English taste than I wanted.

Edit: on rereading the thread there a few other good yeast choices for next time suggested. I want something more attenuative than Windsor (and cleaner) and more attenuative than US-05.

Great!  However, I'm sticking with an American mild.  Only domestic ingredients and American flavor characteristics.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:55:14 am »
Denny, you've been using 1450 for it lately, right?  I could see the mouthfeel being a help in that beer.
Jon H.

Online tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:57:22 am »

I made a second batch of this beer with some changes.

I think I will try WLP002 next time.

The other change was using English Chocolate malt. That plus the Windsor yeast give this beer a more English taste than I wanted.

Edit: on rereading the thread there a few other good yeast choices for next time suggested. I want something more attenuative than Windsor (and cleaner) and more attenuative than US-05.

Great!  However, I'm sticking with an American mild.  Only domestic ingredients and American flavor characteristics.
That's what I want too. Yours is more of a session APA/IPA. Mine was more of a shrunk American Brown (but not this time unfortunately).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »
Denny, you've been using 1450 for it lately, right?  I could see the mouthfeel being a help in that beer.

Yep, all batches have been 1450.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:27 pm »

That's what I want too. Yours is more of a session APA/IPA. Mine was more of a shrunk American Brown (but not this time unfortunately).

But you;re using British ingredients, right?

www.dennybrew.com

Online tommymorris

American Mild
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 03:03:23 pm »

Sorry. I want mine to taste American (clean, American hops). I tried low fermentation temp with the Windsor hoping for a clean ferment.  I probably could have asked the forum for guidance and not gone there. But learning by doing is fun too.

I brewed with what I had on hand. I had Windsor and English chocolate so I used those in place of American ingredients.

As an aside, I am trying to empty my brew closet, so, I can start ordering my recipes one at a time.  Then, I will order exactly the ingredients I want rather than compromise based on what I have on hand. I only brew once per month so it is taking a while.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 03:26:42 pm »

Sorry. I want mine to taste American (clean, American hops). I tried low fermentation temp with the Windsor hoping for a clean ferment.  I probably could have asked the forum for guidance and not gone there. But learning by doing is fun too.

I brewed with what I had on hand. I had Windsor and English chocolate so I used those in place of American ingredients.

As an aside, I am trying to empty my brew closet, so, I can start ordering my recipes one at a time.  Then, I will order exactly the ingredients I want rather than compromise based on what I have on hand. I only brew once per month so it is taking a while.
'
Actually, I like the session American Brown idea too. You could pack a lot of flavor in a 'small' beer like that. And FWIW I used 1450 in the standard American Brown I just made. It might be the best yeast choice for an American session beer IMO - it attenuates pretty close to 1056, but the full mouthfeel it gives makes it seem like it doesn't.

EDIT - I need to brew something like Denny's and what you're talking about. Good ideas.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:30:44 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Online tommymorris

American Mild
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 03:49:05 pm »
I will try the 1450. I like that yeast. Actually, since the forum has been talking about lately I have wanted to try it in several brews.

Tommy M.
Starkville, MS