Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cival War Reenactment Photos.  (Read 7029 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Cival War Reenactment Photos.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 08:08:15 pm »
I've never been to an anactment but have always been fascinated with American History especially the Civil War Era. That was a very important turning point and without it God only knows where we'd all be now.

Abraham Lincoln is often named the greatest president of all time. I wonder how things would be if Abe would've survived the assasination.

Anyway, nice pics Capp. Where was this enactment?
Ron Price

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:30 pm »
I love those spagetti westersn too.  Partial favorites are outlaw josey wales, fistful of dollars/few dollars more/good bad ugly series, the hamg em high, 2 mules for sister sarah (which I always considered his Audry Hepburn moment if he were to parallell rooster cogburn). 

anyway, cool pics.  I wonder what it takes to get a permit to own one of those cannons.  Can I build one myself?  that would rock.  I could pig hunt with one of those. 

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 08:41:57 pm »

I'm interested in what that small caliber cannon is, about the 10th picture in...it looks more like a WWII antitank gun!

Wait...wait a sec...is it a trailer of some kind and what I'm thinking the barrel is a hitch?  If that is the case the "lid" of the box appeared like armor plating.  Seriously, what is that?

EDIT: OK, I need to look closer, that's obviously not a gun, its a trailer with a chest for supplies or whatnot.  I was thinking they were preparing for Union Pzkpfw IV Ausf F's coming over the ridge or something!

I think that is an unhitched wagon. What you initially thought was a barrel is the tongue. I would guess that the box contains cannon balls or something very heavy. Its a small box on large axles and wheels. Otherwise it would be a waste of equipment and horses to carry such a small package.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 06:44:23 am »
I love those spagetti westersn too.  Partial favorites are outlaw josey wales, fistful of dollars/few dollars more/good bad ugly series, the hamg em high, 2 mules for sister sarah (which I always considered his Audry Hepburn moment if he were to parallell rooster cogburn). 

anyway, cool pics.  I wonder what it takes to get a permit to own one of those cannons.  Can I build one myself?  that would rock.  I could pig hunt with one of those. 

Josey wales was not a "Spaghetti Western" though. It was filmed in the US and directed by Clint Eastwood, mot Sergio Leone.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »
And the spaghetti westerns were all filmed in Spain not Italy like people think. They are more like gaspacho westerns really.

Another good western, if you are into something a little weird is 'El Topo'.

While 'My Name is Nobody' is for kids. El Topo is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3joYVNyyi5w

My Four favorite westerns are 1. My name is nobody. 2. Dead Man 3. El Topo 4. High Plains Drifter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MD2unTGsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQEzsPCPBzY

Put them on your list. Trust me.

Bluesman, they have it every year at Neshaminy State Park, Just along the river in Bensalem.  Maybe you could come up next year. Im thinking about maybe setting up an authentic blacksmith station or something and getting dressed up. My dad wants to do that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:03:13 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 06:54:55 pm »

fatdogale, do you mean "Trinity is still my Name"?

Yep, that's it - Trinity is still my Name...thanks!

John Childs

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 07:30:35 pm »
fatdogale, do you mean "Trinity is still my Name"?

Didnt know that there was another nobody film.

Man I love these Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies.

This got me to thinking about these movies, so I hit the 'net to do some research...I've been confusing My Name is Nobody with My Name is Trinity for a really long time.  Long ago I watched My Name is Nobody with some friends, and I kept telling them how funny it was.  We were all waiting for it to get much funnier.  I remembered Terence Hill from the Trinity movie, but couldn't really recall Henry Fonda being in it...it all makes sense now!
John Childs

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:26 pm »
I love when that happens!

To be clear,  My name is Trinity = They call me Trinity? So confusing.

Just saw what is happening in a search.

there were two films made in Italy and for a time were the most highest grossing films ever in Italy.' They Call me Trinity' and 'Trinity is still my Name'.  Both films enjoyed a big success in the US too. Bud Spencer and Terrance Hill made a bunch of movies together but only one other film was widely released in the US with the duo. In Italy it was called 'The left and The Right Hand of the Devil'
To sell it better they gave it the English title of 'My Name is Trinity', I think I saw that one?  Both to include it with the series of films (even though it is not meant to be) and I guess to make people associate the film with 'My Name is Nobody'.

Wow.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:02:20 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 04:42:34 am »

Bluesman, they have it every year at Neshaminy State Park, Just along the river in Bensalem.  Maybe you could come up next year. Im thinking about maybe setting up an authentic blacksmith station or something and getting dressed up. My dad wants to do that.

Sounds like a plan!
Ron Price

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
A friend of mine used to do reenactments at Ft. Howard - He said that obviously they knew which side won, and what relative percentage of each side's soldiers were killed, so each individual reenactor just sort of decides when to fall over by taking stock of the battle and waiting for someone to shoot in their general direction.

Different companies might do it differently.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline novabrew

• Cellarman
  • Springfield, VA
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »

I'm interested in what that small caliber cannon is, about the 10th picture in...it looks more like a WWII antitank gun!

Wait...wait a sec...is it a trailer of some kind and what I'm thinking the barrel is a hitch?  If that is the case the "lid" of the box appeared like armor plating.  Seriously, what is that?

EDIT: OK, I need to look closer, that's obviously not a gun, its a trailer with a chest for supplies or whatnot.  I was thinking they were preparing for Union Pzkpfw IV Ausf F's coming over the ridge or something!

I think that is an unhitched wagon. What you initially thought was a barrel is the tongue. I would guess that the box contains cannon balls or something very heavy. Its a small box on large axles and wheels. Otherwise it would be a waste of equipment and horses to carry such a small package.

These were called Limbers or Caissons and were used to carry ammunition and other needed supplies and equipment for the guns.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 07:38:07 pm »

These were called Limbers or Caissons and were used to carry ammunition and other needed supplies and equipment for the guns.

Thanks for the info!!!
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 12:54:58 pm »
I don't really get the attraction to the reenactment hobby, but it's pretty interesting to see when it's done well.  A few years back, a group did a US military "timeline" portraying military units and encampments from the French & Indian War through the 1st Gulf War.  The biggest group was, of course, the Civil War group.  They had a guy who was a Civil War physician with all the antique tools of the period.  When he described the medical and dental techniques of the Civil War era, and showed us how some of the instruments (knives, extractors, etc.) were used :o, I quickly gained a new level of appreciation for "modern" medicine - and almost lust my lunch.  :-[
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!