Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Saison Blend (WL568) starter?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Belgian Saison Blend (WL568) starter?
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:28:06 pm »
Planning on brewing up a big batch of saison in 10 days or so.  I wanted to split 10 gallons into two separate 5 gal worts- half to be a traditional saison the other half to be pitched with Brett Trois/lambicus left over from a 100% Brett farmhouse that finished up fermenting (saved some of the yeast).
LHBS only had WL568 belgian saison yeast blend which came highly recommended.  I need to build it up though over the next few days for the total 10 gallons.  Since it is a blend, will making a starter alter the characteristics much of the final beer and if so would it be bad to do anyways?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Belgian Saison Blend (WL568) starter?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:26:54 pm »
The strains may reproduce at a different rate, but at the homebrew level I don't think it will be noticeable. I've heard that blends of yeast and bugs or brett can be way out of whack due to rate of growth.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 01:37:55 pm »
Yeah I've heard the same thing about a blend such as Roselare from Wyeast but wasn't sure about one simply containing different saccharomyces strains.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
I've made starters with that blend and it turned out lovely. I can't say that it would have been different/better/worse than had I not made a starter but it was nice with one.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce