Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: long tail?  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: long tail?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 07:57:45 am »
Good beer can be made with slightly less than ideal water.

I agree to a point. Water profiles for flavor balance are something to tinker with after you're making good beer, but getting my mash pH right was a pretty noticeable improvement to me. I used to get pretty 'in your face' astringency on some styles not suited to my water.

yep- i had so  much bicarb in my well water that my PH was really high and caused many a problem beer. switching to RO made all the difference and allowed me to nail my brew water profiles.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:08 am »
If you have a recipe you really like, but it's not perfect, then keep rebrewing it making one change (recipe OR process related) each time until you feel like you really have it dialed in. That's really the best way to learn what does what in the brewhouse. Once you get a feel for that, it's pretty simple to dial most recipes in, or to get a feel for what went wrong if a beer misses the mark.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 08:15:41 am »
FWIW, my tap water is pretty good:

Sodium, Na 33
Calcium, Ca 63
Magnesium, Mg 7.1
Sulfate, SO4 52
Chloride, Cl 46
Bicarbonate, HCO3 181
pH 8

Everything within acceptable ranges, so, again, the long tail, right?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:28 am »
As others have said, fermentation temp control and water profiles really made my beers go from decent to great.
Even if your tap water is pretty good that doesn't mean it's pretty good or perfect for all styles. No water source is perfect for everything. Your water supply might be ok for some of the beers you are brewing but producing less than stellar flavor profiles on others.

If you feel like your water is solid and your processes are solid then the only thing missing in quality improvement would be the recipes you are using. I'm not sure from the handful of posts here that I know enough about your processes or water or recipes to point in any particular direction though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 08:52:59 am »
If you have a recipe you really like, but it's not perfect, then keep rebrewing it making one change (recipe OR process related) each time until you feel like you really have it dialed in. That's really the best way to learn what does what in the brewhouse. Once you get a feel for that, it's pretty simple to dial most recipes in, or to get a feel for what went wrong if a beer misses the mark.

You mean like I have been doing with my oat bran 'n' egg pancake for the last year or so? I'm still optimizing that sucker.  :P
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 09:03:23 am »
OK, OK, I got it. It's going to be the long tail for me.  :'(

Well, there is no harm in asking, now is there?

Oh, BTW, did I mention that for me a "good" beer really means "world class"? Why go through all that trouble for less? I mean, I live in Belgium, so if I want a decent sour, trappist, Belgian IPA or saison, I simply go to the beer shop around the corner, or even to the supermarket. Even for unBelgian beers we have stuff from quite a few very good breweries here.
Frank P.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 05:43:22 pm »
Just say world class then. That way good still has a place ;-)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 05:57:08 pm »
Quote from: homoeccentricus link=topic=21400.msg271097#msg27109date=1418832203
                   I live in Belgium, so if I want a decent sour, trappist, Belgian IPA or saison, I simply go to the beer shop around the corner, or even to the supermarket.

OK, it's a derail, but being a Belgian beer lover I'm envious like crazy when I read something like this. So, with that vast array of Belgian beers (many of which we don't get over here), what are some of your favorites? Gotta live vicariously through you !

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:48:18 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:42 pm »
Back on track... The biggies have been mentioned, but the other issue is simply repeating things over and over.  That is the way I have dialed in styles - from hop stand IPAs to Vienna Lagers to decocted Helles.  You really need to make a style until you really dial in your proceeds and like or love your results.  Also, don't become satisfied with your friends' assessment of your beers.  Get them to truly competent Brewers or judges and listen to what they have to say.  I did.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 02:55:04 am »
I think understanding ingredients is a big one. Way, way back when I was in the US doing partial mash brews, I would go to the homebrew shop and taste all the grains from the bulk bins. I would think, "Yeah, that's the flavor I want in this beer, and a little of that..." That's not so easy to do in Belgium since grain isn't sold in bulk, but you could buy 250g bags of everything you can find and taste them individually. You could even go so far as to make a mini mash. As for hops, I still re-read the profile of every hops I have before adding it to a recipe. From there, experience and maybe some advice from the good folks here will get you where you want to be.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 06:29:41 am »
                   I live in Belgium, so if I want a decent sour, trappist, Belgian IPA or saison, I simply go to the beer shop around the corner, or even to the supermarket.

OK, it's a derail, but being a Belgian beer lover I'm envious like crazy when I read something like this. So, with that vast array of Belgian beers (many of which we don't get over here), what are some of your favorites? Gotta live vicariously through you !

Yes, please do tell.

I plan to be in Belgium for 2 weeks in May and would like to hear what your favorites are, especially sours and saisons.
Ralph R.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 07:28:02 am »
am I stuck in this dreaded tail for ever and ever?

;D...I look back at my notes from when I was doing batch 15..sheesh I have learned a lot since then. 

Lots of good advise here; you may want to add in a few pounds of patience on your next year of brewing.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 08:17:46 am »

Yes, please do tell.

I plan to be in Belgium for 2 weeks in May and would like to hear what your favorites are, especially sours and saisons.
See separate thread.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 08:20:02 am »

Hahaha, just bragging. "Good" would be good for now.
Frank P.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
long tail?
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 09:50:44 am »

Hahaha, just bragging. "Good" would be good for now.

not to mention your beer is likely better than you give it credit for....toughest critics are ourselves.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:12:11 pm by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale