Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nooner Pils  (Read 9816 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Nooner Pils
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 01:12:55 pm »
I know I don't have a highly trained palate, and little to no experience with IPL, but to me it just came off as boring. I still have a couple more, maybe I will start an evening with them and try to really pay attention to what I'm tasting and smelling. The 2 I had already were in the middle of an evening of 4-6, so I may have just missed what it has to offer.
I'm not all that impressed with overly hoppy lagers either. I have had a few dry hopped lagers that I enjoyed, but overall, they are meh to me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:20 pm »
As for IPLs, I think it just depends on your approach. I've had some (and made some) that were hoppy in an APA kind of way - good beer, really drinkable, some with noble hops, some with American ale type hops.  But I've also had (and made) IPLs  that were basically cold fermented IPAs, every bit as hoppy.  I think it's a fun style to play with because there are no rules. Use a ton of noble, use American ale hops, blend both. I like to use the super clean Mexican lager strain and have fun with it.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 01:33:46 pm »
As for IPLs, I think it just depends on your approach. I've had some (and made some) that were hoppy in an APA kind of way - good beer, really drinkable, some with noble hops, some with American ale type hops.  But I've also had (and made) IPLs  that were basically cold fermented IPAs, every bit as hoppy.  I think it's a fun style to play with because there are no rules. Use a ton of noble, use American ale hops, blend both. I like to use the super clean Mexican lager strain and have fun with it.

Thanks Hoosier -- Just realized my post slid in there between the Nooner and IPL.  I'm actually wondering about a yeast recommendation for Nooner.  It's obviously crisp and dry, and I know the gravity ~ 1.047 -- 1.007, but Pilsners are uncharted territory for me.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:40 pm »

Thanks Hoosier -- Just realized my post slid in there between the Nooner and IPL.  I'm actually wondering about a yeast recommendation for Nooner.  It's obviously crisp and dry, and I know the gravity ~ 1.047 -- 1.007, but Pilsners are uncharted territory for me.

WLP830
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 03:57:59 pm »

WLP830

That may be what I heard.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 04:02:44 pm »

WLP830

That may be what I heard.

Exactly what I was looking for Jeff!  ;)

Thanks to you both.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 04:12:16 pm »
FWIW, the thread got splintered between Nooner and IPL.  Having had Nooner (and liked it a lot) I think 830 is pretty likely. I threw the Mexican strain out as a good one for IPL, but I've used 2124 (830) for that, too.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »
FWIW, the thread got splintered between Nooner and IPL.  Having had Nooner (and liked it a lot) I think 830 is pretty likely. I threw the Mexican strain out as a good one for IPL, but I've used 2124 (830) for that, too.

Appreciate it!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:53 pm »
Picked some nooner up after work. Starting my third. Its a nice refreshing pilsner. Definitely going to keep it around in the summer to supplement the homebrew. Nice strong bitter with just enough maltiness to balance. Wouldn't want one less kernal of malt in the batch, its that borderline. I must say the hop bitterness builds up which is a problem I have with hoppy beers that purport to be sessionable. To me sessionable means you can put down quite a few not just without getting wasted but also not get an overworked palate which can happen with highly hopped beers. That is less a criticism of this particular beer than a criticism of what is considered sessionable.
Edit: this is why I think "all day ipa" should be called " please don't give me a second one because my tungue feels funny after drinking that watery b.s. That's hopped like an iipa"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:28:58 pm by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 07:39:35 pm »
Picked some nooner up after work. Starting my third. Its a nice refreshing pilsner. Definitely going to keep it around in the summer to supplement the homebrew. Nice strong bitter with just enough maltiness to balance. Wouldn't want one less kernal of malt in the batch, its that borderline. I must say the hop bitterness builds up which is a problem I have with hoppy beers that purport to be sessionable. To me sessionable means you can put down quite a few not just without getting wasted but also not get an overworked palate which can happen with highly hopped beers. That is less a criticism of this particular beer than a criticism of what is considered sessionable.
Edit: this is why I think "all day ipa" should be called " please don't give me a second one because my tungue feels funny after drinking that watery b.s. That's hopped like an iipa"
A good German Pils is suffig(sp,) meaning you want more. That dryness is part of it. That goes well with German food too.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »
it's a nice beer for sure. I got a sixer last night and am finishing up the last two tonight. very soft malty sweetness just barely balanced by bitterness. I don't get the hop buildup but maybe I was too tired to notice last night. not something I would crave all the time, I'm an ale guy at heart I guess, but a nice quaffer for a party.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 08:56:46 pm »
Picked some nooner up after work. Starting my third.
A good German Pils is suffig(sp,) meaning you want more. That dryness is part of it. That goes well with German food too.
The Germans have an equivalent to "moreish"...?  heh, I should have known.  8)

edit:  tried the beer - very good.  It is not as brilliant as, say, Left Hand's German Pils, but pretty damn good.  Glad to have it available.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:58:38 pm by udubdawg »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 07:52:53 am »
Thanks for the word, I like descriptive words like that and it seems the Germans have lots of words like that. Reminds me of the Belgians and "digestibility" The nooner definitely is "suffig". The hops is a different issue and I'm predisposed to find that. I still put down three like nothing and could have had more.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 08:10:16 am »
it's a nice beer for sure. I got a sixer last night and am finishing up the last two tonight. very soft malty sweetness just barely balanced by bitterness. I don't get the hop buildup but maybe I was too tired to notice last night. not something I would crave all the time, I'm an ale guy at heart I guess, but a nice quaffer for a party.
Funny, to my palate the hops was just barely balanced by the malt. You've been on the West Coast too long, man. Your coming home just in time.
Although I love hops bitterness and flavor I am susceptible to hops fatigue.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 08:16:39 am »
Funny, to my palate the hops was just barely balanced by the malt. You've been on the West Coast too long, man. Your coming home just in time.
Although I love hops bitterness and flavor I am susceptible to hops fatigue.

yeah, lupulin threshold shift occurs pretty quickly.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce