Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg posts and poppits  (Read 7629 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Keg posts and poppits
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:37:07 am »
Have 18 ball-lock kegs of varying condition. Some needed fixin right from the CHI co. That's what I get for buying cheap kegs a couple years back.

Several have troublesome poppits. They seem ok but leak after applying pressure to the keg. I pick at them with a finger-nail to try and reseat them slightly with varying success. A keg has never totally lost pressure.

Anyone ever diagnose this problem? I've looked at everything while cleaning wondering if it's the posts, poppits or both? ???

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Keg posts and poppits
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:29:39 am »
The only way I've really been able to get at the source of those small, annoying leaks has been to slather the top of the keg (including the base of the posts) with a soap and water solution after pressurizing the empty keg and looking for the bubbles.  Most often, I find I need to replace all of the gaskets and poppet valves (including the gasket at the top of the dip tubes).  With stubborn, but new, lid gaskets I give it a light coating of keg lube.  On the ball lock kegs I have, I also have found small leaks when leaving the CO2 attached (like the ball lock doesn't fit down tight enough onto the post, a problem I don't have with the pin lock kegs).  On one of the ball lock kegs I have, it seems that the poppet valve spring gets mis-set on the dip tube, making it slightly crooked.  I take a small screwdriver to the base of the valve to get the feet set back into the proper spot.
Gail 

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:25:56 am »
Poppets and posts come in several different varieties so I take mine apart one at a time so they don't get mixed up.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Parts&searchpath=58088627&start=17&total=33
They can be the wrong poppet or just worn out.
Brew on

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:29:06 am »
You can get some leak detector at Home Depot, NB also sells some.  This stuff bubbles up even for the smallest of leaks and can tell you exactly where the gas is escaping.  Best to do this without the QD on, just charge up the keg and give a swab.

I can tell you though that if your dip tube o-ring is in good condition, the problem is almost certainly the poppit failing to seal.  It is probably a worn out spring or a deformed rubber seal on the poppit itself, usually the posts are fine unless you can see some gouging or chipping.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:27:33 am »
Thanks guys.

After I first posted went to get a beer and... nada. A trickle.

Removed the post and inspected under magnification. The post looks worn around the rim where the poppit seats and isn't a perfect circle. Grooved in several areas. I guess metal on metal has ground it down over the years. Poppit looked ok :-\

Thinking it's the post but I'll replace both!

Thanks Tom for the link! Have to figure out what I need to order... ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:43:15 pm »
A great method to look for keg leaks is to cut a section of an old
automobile tire innertube...bout an 8 inch long chunk.

Stretch this over the top of the keg down past the hand holes,
and then fill the thing with water....you can tell ez.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:38 pm »
I've read about people using a star san and water solution as an alternative to the gas leak locator liquid stuff as well.

Offline skynyrd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 08:37:56 am »
I rub a small amount of keg lube on the inner lip of the keg where it is to seal with the oring (also lubed).
Another tip is with some old kegs and trying to get the poppit to seal.  I bought new poppets for one and it still leaked.  So I tweaked the 3 tabs of the poppet (bent them a little flatter) and they fit and sealed right up.  My .02

Offline rjgnj625

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:55:23 am »
It is generally easier to keg beer than it is to bottle beer. Used Cornelius kegs are commonly available, quite affordable and very easy to clean and maintain. There are a decent amount of components that make up a Cornelius keg, and whether one is rebuilding a used keg or putting one together from spare parts.

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »
I've read about people using a star san and water solution as an alternative to the gas leak locator liquid stuff as well.

Thats what I do - just in case I do have a leak, I know that its just sanitizer that could squeak in and not soap. 
mmmm....beer

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 11:21:57 am »

Thats what I do - just in case I do have a leak, I know that its just sanitizer that could squeak in and not soap. 

See, I've tried this and star san tends to bubble up anyway when you spray it, so I can't tell if I've got a leak...
Jesse

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:26:50 am »

See, I've tried this and star san tends to bubble up anyway when you spray it, so I can't tell if I've got a leak...

IME, when i have a leak, the sanitizer solution bubbles pretty rapidly, almost a spitting effect...if it looks like a slower leak, i wipe it clean, and spray solution again and if its consistently bubbling in the same spot then I just re-seal until all is good.
mmmm....beer