Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NCYC 1108: Box of chocolates?  (Read 2740 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: NCYC 1108: Box of chocolates?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 09:19:01 am »
I figured that I would post an update about my experience with NCYC 1108. NCYC 1108 is definitely non-flocculent.   The batch has been in a primary fermentation vessel for just under two weeks (Christmas got in the way of brewing), and the yeast cells are only now starting to exhibit signs of sedimenting.  NCYC 1108 produced a medium yeast head during active fermentation.  I am going to take a gravity reading this evening or tomorrow.  It will be interesting see what the beer tastes like because I mashed at 150, and this strain is powdery.  I am expecting the beer to be dry, but what I interested in are the yeast produced flavors (or lack thereof).

S. cerevisiae

Re: NCYC 1108: Box of chocolates?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 01:29:18 pm »
I finally got around to racking the batch today.  The beer was smooth and clean with more malt flavor than BRY 96 (a.k.a. "Chico").  As I had assumed due to its powdery nature, fruitiness was low with no diacetyl.  The strain appears to be POF-.  Apparent attenuation was 80%.  I am pleased with the performance of this yeast strain, but the proof is in how the beer tastes after conditioning.