Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: anyone used wyyeast california lager strain  (Read 2837 times)

Offline akaRedbeard

• 1st Kit
anyone used wyyeast california lager strain
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:57:21 pm »
I have never used a lager yeast but the problem I have is I ferment in my basement where temps have been hovering around 58-60 deg. So my plan is to make a pale ale using the wyyeast california lager which doesnt mind those temps. Just looking for some feedback if anyone else tried this or if that sounds like a decent plan. Thanks all.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: anyone used wyyeast california lager strain
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:05:16 pm »
My experience is that you'd make a better pseudo lager at those temps with either WY1056 or WY1007.  Despite the word "lager" in 2112, I don't find it as clean as the other 2.  It's really better suited to making a steam beer than a lager.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline akaRedbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »
Thanks for the input denny

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:47:05 pm »
Denny told me about the same thing a year or so back. I ignored it. But ya, he's right.

I'm about a week away from trying out 1728 Scottish at 50 deg. I've got enough bohemian for one brew but room in my chest for two. So I'm going to make a simple beer about 1.050 and pitch a big chunk of 1728 at 45, let it free rise to 50, bla bla bla.

I know that you all are excited about this, but I chickened out. I decided to step starters this week so I'll have enough 2124 for two batches. Im sorry to let you all down
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:09:00 pm by klickitat jim »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 05:27:21 pm »
The crazy thing about Wyeast 2112 is that it is not a traditional steam yeast strain.  Anchor acquired the strain from Wallerstein back in the mid-seventies. 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 05:39:20 pm »
The crazy thing about Wyeast 2112 is that it is not a traditional steam yeast strain.  Anchor acquired the strain from Wallerstein back in the mid-seventies.

Do you have any idea if the original yeast is still around?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 07:00:13 pm »
There is an article floating around the Internet where Mike Carpenter mentioned that Anchor used whatever strain they could beg, borrow, or steal before they acquired the strain that they use today from Wallerstein.

With that said, I have a culture in my bank that was used at the old ACME Brewing Company in San Francisco (http://brewerygems.com/acme.htm).  I dug it out of the UC Davis Culture Collection.  The culture was deposited in 1942.  ACME survived prohibition; therefore, it is more than likely one of their original brewing strains. As ACME was founded by the same person who founded Olympia, the strain may have been brought to San Francisco from Tumwater.  What I do know about the strain is that it is typed as Saccharomyces cerevisiae, and it is a diploid (2 x 16 chromosomes), which is a unique attribute when it comes to brewing strains.  Most brewing strains are polyploids (more than 2x16 chromosomes).   Bry 96 (a.k.a. Ballantine "beer," "Chico," Wy1056, WLP001, US-05 ...) is also a diploid, which is why it is such a unique brewing strain.  The difference between Bry 96 and the ACME strain is that the ACME strain is highly flocculent, and it produces just enough sulfur to make a convincing lager at 16C.   I mentioned this strain to Chris White at NHC.  Hopefully, he has looked into evaluating it for inclusion in the White Labs collection.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:11:48 pm »
I'm about a week away from trying out 1728 Scottish at 50 deg. I've got enough bohemian for one brew but room in my chest for two. So I'm going to make a simple beer about 1.050 and pitch a big chunk of 1728 at 45, let it free rise to 50, bla bla bla

Edit
I know that you all are excited about this, but I chickened out. I decided to step starters this week so I'll have enough 2124 for two batches. Im sorry to let you all down

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:55 am »

No guts, no glory!   ;D

With that said, good old W-34/70 (Wyeast 2124 = W-34/70) gets the job done.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 07:57:56 am »
It's interesting i just used 2112 for the first time and an not that impressed. I use 1007 a lot and think its better if used right. When i was putting a "Common" together i realized how much the grain bill looks like an Alt. i sure do love a good Alt:) 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 08:44:26 am »
It's interesting i just used 2112 for the first time and an not that impressed. I use 1007 a lot and think its better if used right.

I actually like 2112.  I am not fan of 1007, especially it's tendency to explode out of a fermentation vessel.

When i was putting a "Common" together i realized how much the grain bill looks like an Alt. i sure do love a good Alt:)

They are definitely different beer styles.  Alt is missing the sulfur component that is integral to California Common and most lagers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 08:51:08 am »
I'm about a week away from trying out 1728 Scottish at 50 deg. I've got enough bohemian for one brew but room in my chest for two. So I'm going to make a simple beer about 1.050 and pitch a big chunk of 1728 at 45, let it free rise to 50, bla bla bla

Edit

I us 1728 with my wee shroomy and run it about 52.  No problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 09:36:00 am »

Edit

I had a feeling it could go quite low. Its pretty hardy and forgiving and versatile

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 02:10:34 pm »

Did you really make a beer with mushrooms? 

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 02:21:26 pm »
Mark - is the ACME strain the same one used by North Coast?  They have some "Acme" labelled beers, but it could be coincidence.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281