Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbing while Cold Crashing?  (Read 6868 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: Carbing while Cold Crashing?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »
Yea, the trouble I experienced with cold crashing/serving in the same keg was after it all settled I'd be pulling up gunk for awhile and potentially clogging the dip tube. I know theres workarounds involving shorting the tube or adding a screen but they always seemed like more work than a transfer and shortening the dip tube would result in less pints being pulled anyway. Haven't had any oxygenation issues yet. 

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Carbing while Cold Crashing?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 03:09:25 pm »
I think you're complicating things:)

I cold crash in the primary, rack to keg, get it cold and then simply hook up the gas and force carb. After the first pour the beer is nice and clear regardless of the style really and I don't lose any flavor or aroma.

I'm not sure I really see any benefit of moving a kegged beer to another keg just to serve other than adding another transfer. I'm happy with the clarity and don't see the need to filter.

The only reason I move kegged beer to another keg is if I am transporting the beer elsewhere for an event (which seems to be the case for about half my beers).  Otherwise, I agree, it is best just to leave in the serving keg if it is going to sit in the kegerator.
Gotcha, makes sense:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010