Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop much pepper?  (Read 894 times)

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Hop much pepper?
« on: April 29, 2015, 03:17:41 pm »
I want to add some freshly ground black pepper to my next Saison. Grain bill is as follows:

For 10 gallons

1 lb malted Wheat
2 lbs Vienna malt
17 lbs Pilsner malt
1 lb beet sugar

So how much black pepper should I add for a subtle contribution? Planning on adding it at knockout.

Thanks
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
Re: Hop much pepper?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:39:14 am »
I've used black peppercorns (unground) to the boil. About a teaspoon on a 5gal batch, 5' before flameout.

What pepper does in the boil, as far as I can tell, is deepen and round all other flavours, whilst contributing very little flavour of its own.

If it's pepper flavour (and the accompabning heat-kick) you want, I recommend dry spicing.

Knockout...I dunno. The yeast will do stuff to whatever's in your wort, and I've no idea how it'll treat the pepper.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 03:14:43 am »
I wouldn't add ground pepper after the boil, because it's impossible to have control over the amount/impact. What I did in a mead was to add some whole peppercorns in a bag after fermentation subsided so that I  could add/remove peppers over time. In this specific case it was a gallon+ of pear mead. I added eight pippali peppers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_pepper), tasted after a week, and added four more for another week. I think the result still was fairly subtle.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:32:35 am »
. I think the result still was fairly subtle.

I concur.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:37:48 pm »
I measure .5 oz of whole peppercorns, then crushed them, and put them in at knockout with the finishing hops. There was a pleasant orangey/peppery aroma coming from the wort when I transferred it to the primary. I will report back in about a month with the results. Maybe I will bring a couple bottles to the NHC to share.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout