Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coffee, how much and what kind  (Read 2788 times)

Offline ffdfireman

• 1st Kit
Re: Coffee, how much and what kind
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 09:47:10 am »
Just seeing this with the new responses.  I have brewed a coffee stout once or twice a year for almost 20 years now.  My personal favorite method at this point is adding the grounds at flameout (basically like a whirlpool addition) using a fine mesh nylon hop bag.  I find it gives the best balance of coffee flavor and flavor stability and longevity.  I really like the granularity of using a cold-brewed concentrate (with my Toddy setup), but I've found that the coffee character fades a lot faster using this method.  If I were brewing a batch for a festival where it was going to be consumed quickly, I'd probably go with that, but for around the house, flameout is the way to go for me.

As far as what type of coffee, you need to ask yourself that.  What type of coffee do you like to drink?

+1

I will have to try it at flame out to make sure the flavor stays for longer aging.  (Thinking of making a bourbon coffee stout)  My problem is, that even though I'm only brewing it for at home, it goes so fast I haven't noticed the flavor dissipation.  :-\

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 10:20:58 am »
I will have to try it at flame out to make sure the flavor stays for longer aging.  (Thinking of making a bourbon coffee stout)  My problem is, that even though I'm only brewing it for at home, it goes so fast I haven't noticed the flavor dissipation.  :-\
One thing to keep in mind for that: you may want to overshoot your coffee amount a little for that (by about 10-15%) if you're doing something like bourbon-soaked oak.  I've found that wood aging a coffee beer tends to mute the coffee slightly.

Offline ffdfireman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 10:25:35 am »
What are your thoughts on bourbon soaked beans?

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 10:50:44 am »
Sounds like an awesome idea for an experiment.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 11:03:54 am »
Just seeing this with the new responses.  I have brewed a coffee stout once or twice a year for almost 20 years now.  My personal favorite method at this point is adding the grounds at flameout (basically like a whirlpool addition) using a fine mesh nylon hop bag.  I find it gives the best balance of coffee flavor and flavor stability and longevity.  I really like the granularity of using a cold-brewed concentrate (with my Toddy setup), but I've found that the coffee character fades a lot faster using this method.  If I were brewing a batch for a festival where it was going to be consumed quickly, I'd probably go with that, but for around the house, flameout is the way to go for me.

As far as what type of coffee, you need to ask yourself that.  What type of coffee do you like to drink?

When adding at flameout, how long do you steep? Just through chilling?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 12:07:31 pm »
When adding at flameout, how long do you steep? Just through chilling?
When I used to have an immersion chiller, yes, just through chilling.  With a plate chiller, it's more like 5 or 10 minutes while waiting for the trub/whirlfloc to start settling out.  Temp when adding is typically between 210 and 205, so roughly french press temps.