Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First batch - question  (Read 1636 times)

Offline deanmr2

• 1st Kit
First batch - question
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:25:08 am »
My first day as AHA member and also 7 days into my first all-grain batch.  It is a double nut brown.  Target OG was 1.073 (I hit 1.067) and target FG is 1.016 (at seven days I'm at 1.027).  Supposed to be a 7-day primary ferment and then 14-day secondary.  My question : can I rack to keg now and use that as my secondary fermentation vessel?  If so, how does at work?

Thanks and so excited to be the newest AHA member.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
First batch - question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:30:22 am »
I do not recommend racking until it is done.

When is it done? It is done when sample measure the same a couple of days apart. Racking too early is a tough problem to fix. You could end up with residual sugars or off flavors.

Beer doesn't know what a day is, so be careful following recipes with days. Those should be taken as guidelines.

You don't need to secondary, you could package right out of primary, just ensure it is done.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:32:09 am by Steve in TX »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: First batch - question
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:31:13 am »
You never want to rack a  beer before it is finished fermenting. Racking a beer early could cause it to stall. Also, general consensus here is secondary is usually not necessary. Finish the beer in the primary, let sit a few days after fermentation appears to be finished to let yeast clean up any off flavors and then cold crash in primary to drop yeast. Then you can rack to keg.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 08:00:49 am »
As the others said, don't rack it.  Leave it alone for a while.  I like to watch the airlock.  When the airlock quits bubbling, then take a specific gravity reading.  Then wait 3 or 4 more days.  Then take another gravity reading.  If the gravity stays the same over 3 days, then it's done fermenting.  Otherwise, wait longer until it's stable.  Then you can safely move to your keg or bottles.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline deanmr2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 08:06:01 am »
Thanks all for comments. As a side note, airlock never bubbled (or if it did, it did it while I was at work).  Regardless, I'll let sit another week and retest.  -cheers!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:07:40 am by deanmr2 »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:38:33 am »
Thanks all for comments. As a side note, airlock never bubbled (or if it did, it did it while I was at work).  Regardless, I'll let sit another week and retest.  -cheers!

I'm going to assume you are in a bucket and had a leak in the lid seal somewhere. You probably could fix that by pressing down on the lid tighter.

Offline deanmr2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 07:32:05 am »
Update: so...I got froggy, and decided to test with hydrometer.  The Krausen dropped after day five, I tested at days 6, 9, and 11.  No change from 9 to 11 so I racked into keg, carbed to 30psi, and at day 13, I now have a wonderful Double nut brown ale with absolutely zero off-taste.  My wife loves it!!!  Time for a double IPA next.  Thanks!!!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:34:48 pm »
cool. what was your final gravity reading?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce