Author Topic: Small Refrigerator  (Read 650 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
Small Refrigerator
« on: December 21, 2014, 02:23:54 PM »
What's the smallest 'fridge that will hold a 6 gallon carboy (approx. 25" tall, including the airlock, and 12" diameter)?
Thanks.
BJCP Certified

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
    • View Profile
Re: Small Refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 02:58:06 PM »
I have 6 cu ft for fermenting.  Home Depot has Igloo kegerators that can be used for refrigerator for $298 on sale now thru 12/24
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Wildhops
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
Once upon a time ago i looked pretty hard find a small fridge for fermentation and never found one in a good price range. Cheaper to go with a 5cu ft freezer Sams club $164 and a temp controller. No sure if that helps. would love to know if ya find one that works

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »
Small dorm fridges/wine fridges can be found for about $200.  (Have to be very careful to find compressor humps that can accomodate)  That holds one bucket.  For $300 I bought a freezer from home depot that holds 6 to 8 buckets.    Most of the price is for the chilling part of the system...

I have both a dorm and a freezer now.  I ferment in the dorm/wine fridge and store kegs in the bigger freezer.  Long story short, go as big as the space allows...the relative cost is pretty much the same regardless of size.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
    • View Profile
Small Refrigerator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »
I'd take a look on Craigslist too. I found a 5 cu ft chest freezer that works perfectly for $40. It will fit one 6 1/2 gal carboy and one 6 1/2 gal bucket both with air locks. But if you have the budget, I'd get the biggest size you can fit/afford. You'll want the extra space.

Edit: After re-reading your post I realize this might not be the advice you were looking for, but I'm not sure you could fit it in anything smaller than 5 cu ft.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:52:16 PM by Hickory »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewer
  • Palermo, Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »
I should have provided some more detail.
I have a 'fridge as a keggerator and another 'fridge that I use as a fermenter.
I'm thinking about getting something small as I described to use when I make lagers.
I'm looking for a way to avoid tying up the fridge I use as a fermenter for 3 weeks while the lager batch ferments and then several weeks while it lagers.
I think a small fridge that could fit a carboy could be dedicated to lagers, fermenting and lagering.
I'm looking for something small due to space considerations.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
BJCP Certified

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
I know Amanda K uses wine fridges. She found some that fit well and were cheap when she got them.