Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Small Refrigerator  (Read 1410 times)

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Small Refrigerator
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:23:54 am »
What's the smallest 'fridge that will hold a 6 gallon carboy (approx. 25" tall, including the airlock, and 12" diameter)?
Thanks.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Re: Small Refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 07:58:06 am »
I have 6 cu ft for fermenting.  Home Depot has Igloo kegerators that can be used for refrigerator for $298 on sale now thru 12/24
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:24:37 am »
Once upon a time ago i looked pretty hard find a small fridge for fermentation and never found one in a good price range. Cheaper to go with a 5cu ft freezer Sams club $164 and a temp controller. No sure if that helps. would love to know if ya find one that works

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:19:47 am »
Small dorm fridges/wine fridges can be found for about $200.  (Have to be very careful to find compressor humps that can accomodate)  That holds one bucket.  For $300 I bought a freezer from home depot that holds 6 to 8 buckets.    Most of the price is for the chilling part of the system...

I have both a dorm and a freezer now.  I ferment in the dorm/wine fridge and store kegs in the bigger freezer.  Long story short, go as big as the space allows...the relative cost is pretty much the same regardless of size.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
Small Refrigerator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:50:11 am »
I'd take a look on Craigslist too. I found a 5 cu ft chest freezer that works perfectly for $40. It will fit one 6 1/2 gal carboy and one 6 1/2 gal bucket both with air locks. But if you have the budget, I'd get the biggest size you can fit/afford. You'll want the extra space.

Edit: After re-reading your post I realize this might not be the advice you were looking for, but I'm not sure you could fit it in anything smaller than 5 cu ft.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:52:16 am by Hickory »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:14:40 pm »
I should have provided some more detail.
I have a 'fridge as a keggerator and another 'fridge that I use as a fermenter.
I'm thinking about getting something small as I described to use when I make lagers.
I'm looking for a way to avoid tying up the fridge I use as a fermenter for 3 weeks while the lager batch ferments and then several weeks while it lagers.
I think a small fridge that could fit a carboy could be dedicated to lagers, fermenting and lagering.
I'm looking for something small due to space considerations.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:16:01 pm »
I know Amanda K uses wine fridges. She found some that fit well and were cheap when she got them.