Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour Mashing with Unmalted Grain?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
Sour Mashing with Unmalted Grain?
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:31:53 am »
I wanted to conduct a 24hour+ sour mash in my oven.  I've heard, but cannot confirm that you shouldn't use unmalted grain in a sour mash.  Can someone back this up?  I was planning on doing 7oz rolled oats.

Cheers,
Michael
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Sour Mashing with Unmalted Grain?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 10:20:27 am »
I have no idea why unmalted grain would be any different for this purpose.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:29:39 pm »
I guess there might be more bacteria/fungus on unmalted grain as it never went through any heat treatment but I don't know this to be true, or germane. where did you hear that you shouldn't?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 01:07:00 pm »
Sour mashes can be finicky enough to coax out the right flavors.  If it were me I would probably add malted grains as is traditionally done.
 A lot of people will make a small 2qt starter of DME wort and simply add their grains to that and allow it sour first.  Then decant/strain and pitch just the "lacto" harvested that way into their full size batch to ferment out.  This allows one to taste and judge the starter wort and see if it is worth pitching into the larger batch first. 

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:27:34 pm »
I guess there might be more bacteria/fungus on unmalted grain as it never went through any heat treatment but I don't know this to be true, or germane. where did you hear that you shouldn't?

I'm afraid to admit it but the "internet" said so... Not that i was 100% sold on the information when I came across it, but it triggered the exact thing that you mentioned about bacteria/fungi/whoknowswhat... I think I'll proceed with the oats in the mash anyway, and maybe give things a little lacto head start as suggested.
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:53:25 pm »
Lowering your pH to about 4.5 prior to pitching should also help inhibit the nasties from taking hold.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 08:17:47 am »

I'm afraid to admit it but the "internet" said so... Not that i was 100% sold on the information when I came across it, but it triggered the exact thing that you mentioned about bacteria/fungi/whoknowswhat... I think I'll proceed with the oats in the mash anyway, and maybe give things a little lacto head start as suggested.

That sounds like something one person said and a lot of other people repeated until it became accepted truth.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing