Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A homebrewing milestione  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: A homebrewing milestione
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 07:16:39 pm »
Are you selling swag online yet Leos?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
A homebrewing milestione
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 07:28:44 pm »
No but if you send check to the brewery we will send you what you want (if we have it).

Easiest way to contact us is from our contact us form.
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com/contact/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:30:25 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 07:32:02 pm »
Sounds good. I want to send my support and doubt I'll get up your way.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 11:42:21 pm »
Denny-
There's this really cool hobby called "cheesemaking".  You get to start with some raw ingredients and set the stage for an enzymatic reaction happen that modifies the base ingredients.  Then, you can age it and let other microbial flora take their turn at it and before you know it, you have a consumable end product.

It takes quite a bit of equipment, though.
http://www.cheesemaking.com/?utm_content=5720897248&utm_term=cheese%20making%20kits%20for%20beginners&utm_campaign=001.06-Making+Cheese+For&utm_medium=cpc

Sound interesting?

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 08:52:21 am »

Sounds good. I want to send my support and doubt I'll get up your way.

Sounds good. I am sure you have small brewery around you that is doing exactly what we are doing.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:28:44 am »
Phew - when I first saw the title I thought it said "Homebrewing Millstone" and I was like "aww damn... now we're going to have a fight"

:)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
Denny-
There's this really cool hobby called "cheesemaking".  You get to start with some raw ingredients and set the stage for an enzymatic reaction happen that modifies the base ingredients.  Then, you can age it and let other microbial flora take their turn at it and before you know it, you have a consumable end product.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/?utm_content=5720897248&utm_term=cheese%20making%20kits%20for%20beginners&utm_campaign=001.06-Making+Cheese+For&utm_medium=cpc

Sound interesting?
Until you get into hard/aged cheese your equipment needs are minimal. With some butter muslin, rennet and a few cultures you're all set for soft cheeses.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 11:14:58 am »

after nearly 17 years of homebrewing, it's finally come to this....there is nothing home brew related I want for Christmas!  I have all the gear and ingredients I could want or need.  In a way, it's kinda comforting!

I promised you the glass. I will send it someday but it will not arrive for Christmas.

Whatever works for you is perfect for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 11:16:56 am »
Denny-

Sound interesting?

Sounds WAY too interesting!  I've been interested in it since some neighbors took it up and the LHBS sells supplies....I was just looking at it yesterday.  But right behind brewing is my love of baking bread.  I'm afraid that if I took up another food related hobby my cardiologist would hunt me down and kill me himself!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 11:17:32 am »
Phew - when I first saw the title I thought it said "Homebrewing Millstone" and I was like "aww damn... now we're going to have a fight"

:)

;D

I'll try not to weigh ya down!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 10:08:59 pm »
I wondered if maybe you hit 500 batches using your original blue cooler mashtun.   ;D

I'm still using the batch sparge system that I consulted with you to build back in 2005, even if I have a few slight modifications or replacements.  I always wonder if people put a bunch of money into a fancy system and then regret it.  I just know that the cheap n' easy system is easy to store, very easy to use and clean, and makes great beer when lined up behind a good recipe, technique, and execution.

Last night at a party I got a compliment that my beer was better than what they had found around town lately, and it's not the first time.  The forum has been a great help over the years.  Merry Christmas to all (soon, soon).

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 07:23:11 pm »
I wondered if maybe you hit 500 batches using your original blue cooler mashtun.   ;D

I'm still using the batch sparge system that I consulted with you to build back in 2005, even if I have a few slight modifications or replacements.  I always wonder if people put a bunch of money into a fancy system and then regret it.  I just know that the cheap n' easy system is easy to store, very easy to use and clean, and makes great beer when lined up behind a good recipe, technique, and execution.

Last night at a party I got a compliment that my beer was better than what they had found around town lately, and it's not the first time.  The forum has been a great help over the years.  Merry Christmas to all (soon, soon).

If I could ask for one thing it would be more time...to brew!  I made a half barrel - 3  cornies - in October for a party at a friend's house last Friday.  Vienna lager for a large group that included several folks who traveled to Germany regularly as part of their work.  Blew through it all within an hour and a half.  Very favorable comments and not one that was in the least negative (some refused to try it and stayed with their Bud light and Lite Beer from Miller to which I said "enjoy").  The genuine appreciation from those who tried it made it all worthwhile.  So I guess I have all that I need, too, Denny.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 07:46:34 pm »
Great story - really cool - bam, bam, gone!  And I bet most of them won't forget how EXCELLENT it was! 

I had just shared a growler of my take on all-citra IPA I have been tweaking a few years, a la Zombie Dust, at a small party.  Plus a cooler of a variety of Bridgeport beers I still had on hand.

I also took a few bottles of some 2012 wines I made: some red meritage (Bordeaux-style blend), a syrah, and an apricot port.  I've been working pretty hard at winemaking (nearly all from grapes) increasingly especially the last few years.

And of course everybody had brought lots as their contribution -- beers, wines, booze.

The next day definitely was the shortest day of the year.  Mostly due to getting home at 2 am, and then sleeping in extra late due to a bit of a hangover, more so from mixing the fruit and the grain than from the amount I consumed.   ::)