Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pizza  (Read 4509 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pizza
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:02:25 am »
I found another dough recipe.  We liked this formulation. A little charred here or there but overall pretty good. Served alongside a California Common. 

Peperoni

Hawaiian with my home made Buckboard bacon and slab bacon, along with some canned pineapple

...and a sausage with my home made sausage

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:48:22 am by BrewBama »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:06:53 am »
Looks great !
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:31:06 pm »
tasty. I haven't grilled a pizza in quite a while
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 08:50:21 pm »
Pretty cool! I have been checking out The "kettlepizza" and was pondering buying that. To bad this isnt in the states. Looks tasty and looks like it gets hot enough.  How much if ya dont mind me asking

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:43:31 am »
Very nice! A coworker is giving me his nice komodo kamado ceramic grill, and I can't wait to grill pizzas in it.
Kyle M.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »

Pretty cool! I have been checking out The "kettlepizza" and was pondering buying that. To bad this isnt in the states. Looks tasty and looks like it gets hot enough.  How much if ya dont mind me asking

It was $235 delivered thru Amazon.de (German). I ordered on the 11th and received it the 15th.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:01:32 pm »
I'd be real interested in what you think of the kettle pizza. I've been looking at that for a while now.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:58:01 pm »
I found another dough recipe.  We liked this formulation. A little charred here or there but overall pretty good. Served alongside a California Common. 

Peperoni

Hawaiian with my home made Buckboard bacon and slab bacon, along with some canned pineapple

...and a sausage with my home made sausage

My mouth is literally watering looking at those pictures.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:57:06 am »
Do you have to worry about the pizza stone cracking from the heat? Can you detail the temps and times for us, this looks so awesome. My wife has a pizza stone and I've love to try it.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:34:09 am »
So this is a "special" lid with a lid for the Weber that holds the stone? Interesting though pricy.

Very nice! A coworker is giving me his nice komodo kamado ceramic grill, and I can't wait to grill pizzas in it.

+ 10 That is one serious score. If you haven't already you should price them online...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 07:21:37 am »
Do you have to worry about the pizza stone cracking from the heat? Can you detail the temps and times for us, this looks so awesome. My wife has a pizza stone and I've love to try it.
I don't use a pizza stone on the grill because I have a clay oven outside for that and I like pizza directly on the grill but I have been using stones in my oven for decades. My experience is they only break (besides being dropped etc) from extreme temperature changes. The only one I had that broke someone put in the sink and ran cold water on it. On the grill I would put it on the grill before starting then turn flame on low and close lid for ten minutes then crank up. When done I would keep it closed after turning off. In winter start with the stone inside and bring inside to cool.
The challenge with cooking a pizza on the grill stone or no is that every time you open the lid you lose heat so the bottom gets crisp while the top is still uncooked.  When I grill pizza I put it on the top rack and close the lid to finish or keep a hot side and a side with burners on low and finish on the low side.
Since you are not getting the benefit of char from the grill I actually see no benefit to cooking with a stone on a grill, any oven would be more effective and easier.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:28:36 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 07:33:39 am »
Alton Brown grilled undressed pizza dough flipping once then adding toppings once flipped. IIRC... ;D

With a stone I ran into the same problem as pete describes. Burnt bottom undercooked top.

Once baked(?) a thawed frozen pizza (DiGiorno) at 375* on the grate in the BGE that turned out evenly cooked for some reason.

I want to build a wood fired oven!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 07:44:00 am »
Alton Brown grilled undressed pizza dough flipping once then adding toppings once flipped. IIRC... ;D

With a stone I ran into the same problem as pete describes. Burnt bottom undercooked top.

Once baked(?) a thawed frozen pizza (DiGiorno) at 375* on the grate in the BGE that turned out evenly cooked for some reason.

I want to build a wood fired oven!
Yes, I grill then flip before topping. And never ever use raw veggies, their water ends up in the pizza.
You lost me at digiorno!
A wood fired oven is awesome but a ton of work to build. Plan on enlisting friends.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 07:48:04 am »
So this is a "special" lid with a lid for the Weber that holds the stone? Interesting though pricy.

+ 10 That is one serious score. If you haven't already you should price them online...

Oh I know. So this was a traumatizing experience though. I had a hired professionals to pick it up and deliver to me. They came with it and asked where I want it. I was waiting at the spot I wanted them to put it at. Waiting...waiting...waiting. Hey guys, what up? Oh, it is completely cracked off at the base. Noooooooo!

I am still dealing with them on damages. Their got all wild eyed when I told them how much it cost, and called their supervisor to talk with me. I wasn't angry, since it was given to me, but I also didn't think I should pay them for not securing my ceramic grill, and breaking it. I hope to work on it in a month or so, and try to fix it.
Kyle M.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 08:07:49 am »
I'd have been wild eyed about the Komodo cracking and raised some hell! >:(

The DiGiorno was an inexpensive test-run proof of concept. Coming back to me now... Use the BGE's plate-setter and then the grate on top. At that point it's baked really as it's indirect heat because of the plate-setter. But, sliding a raw and very floppy topped pizza onto a grate is asking for trouble. :'(