Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Gun Tips  (Read 4651 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Beer Gun Tips
« on: December 23, 2014, 11:55:44 am »
When filling bottles for competition or to take to an event, I usually fill them directly from the tap.  However, I need to bottle 10 gallons for a friend's rehearsal dinner so I purchased a beer gun.

Using the included 10 ft. of beer line, what is the best pressure setting to minimize foaming?  I gave it a test run last weekend, and, while it worked pretty well, there was a bit more foam than I would have liked.

To be clear, I'm talking about foam in the actual beer line before it hits the bottles (I know the trick about chilling the bottles first).

I carbonate and dispense at 14 PSI, so I turned the regulator down to 2 PSI and purged the head space.  This is what works well for filling bottles off the tap, but I'm wondering if a little more pressure would have been better for the beer gun.  The directions state you should use the minimum pressure necessary to fill the bottles at an acceptable rate, but that seemed to cause a fair bit of foaming in the line.

Fortunately, the wedding isn't until April so I can do a few more practice runs.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beer Gun Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 12:16:10 pm »
Is the beer pouring well through the faucet?

You could try to chill the line. It may be that the warm line is making the CO2 pop out of solution.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 12:43:45 pm »
...I'm wondering if a little more pressure would have been better for the beer gun...

Yep - if there is foam in the line, it means CO2 is coming out of solution. 2 PSI is pretty low, so slowly increase the pressure until the beer flows through without foaming.

Steve has a point - cold helps. If you chill the beer down while its on CO2, make sure you account for it in your carb pressure setting.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:10:53 pm »
I usually use from 2-4 PSI, depending on the beer. Start low, then increase until the foaming gets to be too much. The first 10 or so ml are the foamiest, so that's the dog's share. I do 12 bottles and then cap, so the dog gets the next 10 ml

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 01:25:29 pm »
When I use the beer gun the foam is worst for the 1st bottle filled. After a few ounces the serving line cools off and foam diminishes. When I stop to cap bottles foam gets bad again on the next bottle. So, I fill 6-12 bottles then cap.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »
I usually use from 2-4 PSI, depending on the beer. Start low, then increase until the foaming gets to be too much. The first 10 or so ml are the foamiest, so that's the dog's share. I do 12 bottles and then cap, so the dog gets the next 10 ml
I hope those aren't hoppy beers!

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/hops/
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:01:27 pm »
I hope those aren't hoppy beers!

Nope. I was going to reply on the thread asking for how much hops had been used to say that I put two ounces in a ten gallon batch of a big English barleywine, but thought I'd look like a weenie.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 06:37:07 pm »
If I didn't need them till april I would bottle condition personally.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 07:10:49 am »
Yeah, this is where I'm at in terms of bottling versus kegging. I keg to keg...if I want bottles, I'll bottle condition. I don't mind the sediment.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 11:34:34 am »
I have found that around 4 psi seems to be the best for me to minimize foaming with the beer gun.  Capping on foam is also the best way to use it. 

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 02:34:41 pm »
Mine usually dials in between 4-7 psi with just enough foam to cap on but no so much that it knocks the cap off before I can seal it.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 05:43:11 pm »
Yeah, this is where I'm at in terms of bottling versus kegging. I keg to keg...if I want bottles, I'll bottle condition. I don't mind the sediment.
I fill off the keg if I only need a few bottles but I do it as close to the need date as I can.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »
Already mentioned I think, but cold line, cold beer gun, cold sanitizer and cold bottles. I run the pressure around 4-5 PSI. Everything at the same temp really keeps the foaming down, and reduces carb loss.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:17:02 am by mchrispen »
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 06:00:53 pm »
If you can get a partner to help it really improves the beer gun bottling experience. One person on the gun and the other on the capper and you don't have to stop and get that foaming every time.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 12:22:11 pm »
If you can get a partner to help it really improves the beer gun bottling experience. One person on the gun and the other on the capper and you don't have to stop and get that foaming every time.

Good point.  I can't wait for my son or daughter to be old enough to help with this task.  I will make it one of their chores.